From: capt edgar on
Hi there

what is the difference between WScript and a CScript language.
Where can u find good tutorial for CScript on the internet.

I have tried googling it and it comes back saying Javascript arent
Javascript something for web development. i'm after window scripting

newbie here. please advice

regards
From: Martin Honnen on
capt edgar wrote:

> what is the difference between WScript and a CScript language.

Is there anything like a "WScript language" or a "CScript language"? I
don't think so.

Windows Script Host has two command line apps, one called "wscript", one
called "cscript". Both allow you to run programs in JScript or VBScript
or other active scripting language implementations, the only difference
being that stuff like
WScript.Echo("foo");
when executed with "wscript" (e.g. wscript file.js) displays a dialog
window whilst the same execution with "cscript" (cscript file.js) writes
to the console window you are running the command in.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xazzc41b(VS.85).aspx, which
says:
"The WScript command opens separate windows for output, whereas the
CScript command sends output to the Command Prompt window from which it
was initiated."

--

Martin Honnen
http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
capt edgar wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^
Who?

> what is the difference between WScript and a CScript language.

Those are _not_ different programming languages, see below.

> Where can u find good tutorial for CScript on the internet.

You could start with checking the vendor's Web site,
<http://www.microsoft.com/>.

> I have tried googling it and it comes back saying Javascript arent
> Javascript something for web development.

You are not making sense. When I search with Google for "wscript cscript",
the first result is
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xazzc41b%28VS.85%29.aspx>
which says what both are and what is the difference between them:

| Running Scripts from Windows or a Command Prompt
|
| Windows Script Host enables you to run scripts from Windows or at a
| command prompt.
|
| Script Hosts
|
| The WScript command opens separate windows for output, whereas the
| CScript command sends output to the Command Prompt window from which
| it was initiated.

> i'm after window scripting

Did you mean _Windows_?

> newbie here. please advice