From: ratheesh k on
What is the real difference between these ? . I know that workqueue
run on process context and can sleep ..what about kthread ?

Thanks.
Ratheesh
From: Jiri Slaby on
On 05/13/2010 09:25 AM, ratheesh k wrote:
> What is the real difference between these ? . I know that workqueue
> run on process context and can sleep ..what about kthread ?

Well, workqueue runs in a kthread called name_of_your_workqueue/cpu
("/cpu" is omitted when singlethread wq). The difference is that with
workqueue you don't care about looping in kthread, sleeping and managing
a work list.
--
js
From: Jiri Slaby on
On 05/13/2010 10:10 AM, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> On 05/13/2010 09:25 AM, ratheesh k wrote:
>> What is the real difference between these ? . I know that workqueue
>> run on process context and can sleep ..what about kthread ?
>
> Well, workqueue runs in a kthread called name_of_your_workqueue/cpu
> ("/cpu" is omitted when singlethread wq).

(And when you use just schedule_work and create no workqueue for
yourself, it's "events/cpu" kthread.)

--
js