From: Frank Martin on
If I go to "Device Management" and go to the properties of
the HDD in question, thereis a dialogue which gives the
option of "disabling" this HDD.

My question is:

Since I want to disconnect this HDD while the computer is
still running, can I use this feature to do this?

Also, can I plug-in this HDD while the computer is running?

Please help, Frank

From: Paul on
Frank Martin wrote:
> If I go to "Device Management" and go to the properties of
> the HDD in question, thereis a dialogue which gives the
> option of "disabling" this HDD.
>
> My question is:
>
> Since I want to disconnect this HDD while the computer is
> still running, can I use this feature to do this?
>
> Also, can I plug-in this HDD while the computer is running?
>
> Please help, Frank

You use the "Safely Remove" icon to do that. Don't do it
from Device Manager. If you don't have a "Safely Remove",
it means the driver for the disk interface doesn't support
hot plug. Since you haven't named the computer make and
model, it is pretty hard to advise on how to fix that.

Yes, SATA drives support hot plug and unplug. If you place
the drive into an ESATA enclosure, the connectors are good
for 5000 insertions and removals. So you can add and remove
hard drives at will, with good lifetimes to be expected from
the plug. Some motherboards include an ESATA connector
in the I/O plate area, or you can add a card to the computer,
to give you an ESATA connector for that purpose.

Paul
From: Richard Urban on
Don't EVER plug in or disconnect physical devices with the computer powered
on. You are just asking for trouble if you do. Power down first!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

From: Frank Martin on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> Frank Martin wrote:
>> If I go to "Device Management" and go to the properties
>> of the HDD in question, thereis a dialogue which gives
>> the option of "disabling" this HDD.
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> Since I want to disconnect this HDD while the computer is
>> still running, can I use this feature to do this?
>>
>> Also, can I plug-in this HDD while the computer is
>> running?
>>
>> Please help, Frank
>>

> You use the "Safely Remove" icon to do that. Don't do it
> from Device Manager. If you don't have a "Safely Remove",
> it means the driver for the disk interface doesn't support
> hot plug. Since you haven't named the computer make and
> model, it is pretty hard to advise on how to fix that.
>
> Yes, SATA drives support hot plug and unplug. If you place
> the drive into an ESATA enclosure, the connectors are good
> for 5000 insertions and removals. So you can add and
> remove
> hard drives at will, with good lifetimes to be expected
> from
> the plug. Some motherboards include an ESATA connector
> in the I/O plate area, or you can add a card to the
> computer,
> to give you an ESATA connector for that purpose.
>
> Paul

Thanks