From: CANews on
Hi all
I am being handed a Dell 2950 for a SQL server 2005 standard deply but I
will need to put all new disks in it. I was told the best I can do is SATA
7200 RPM. I was going to RAID5 this to about 2TB. Is 7200RPM going to be
too slow?? This will be hosting sharepoint services and a goldmine database

regards

-- Craig

From: TheSQLGuru on
7200 SATA in a RAID 5 will be a total dog from a performance standpoint,
especially since internally you cannot have very many spindles.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: Simon on
On 30/04/2010 21:20, TheSQLGuru wrote:
> 7200 SATA in a RAID 5 will be a total dog from a performance standpoint,
> especially since internally you cannot have very many spindles.

Though I would say whether that matters depends on many other variables.
E.g how many requests the server will get and how much RAM the server has.

Most of the servers I work on serve 99% of all data from RAM, not disk....

:-)
From: TheSQLGuru on
Then consider yourself very fortunate to have small databases, or IO
subsystems that are fast enough that the read ahead mechanisms keep data fed
to RAM before the CPUs need it.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: Simon on
I do work with relatively small databases - 100GB - 300GB generally with
anywhere from 8GB - 24GB of RAM.

The point I'm making though is that I don't think we can make any
statements on whether the disk speed is going to be "too slow" or not
without knowing more about what the server needs to do.

Are we talking about a system where the entire database can fit into RAM
5 times over and has 4 users? Or are we talking about a business
critical sales app with 30,000 users?

I normally get 15K disks wherever possible, but in all honesty I notice
not a jot of difference between that and 7.2K disks once the server is
warmed up

Just my two cents :-)

Best Regards