From: Aaron Bertrand on
> maybe its 08 only, not sure. but according to the docs it should do it.

Did you try it?

"According to the docs"... The doc you cited explains how dates are
interpreted when you manually type string literals. The problem shil was
having is that the data is in a table and being selected (nobody is typing
these dates in this case, shil just wants them to display in a different
string format when being selected.

From: dan kirk on
Not only is it unambiguous, it sorts a lot better when converted to text.

Dan Kirk