From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>> man $SHELL
>>
> That just generates a bunch of error messages...

The traditional answer to "How do I get the name of the current
directory into my prompt?" has always been:

PS1=".$"

I'm surprised that it has been forgotten. (-:

I'm even more surprised that "For goodness' sake, man, read �G5 of the
bash FAQ!" has been forgotten as an answer, too.

From: pk on
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

>>> man $SHELL
>>>
>> That just generates a bunch of error messages...
>>
> The traditional answer to "How do I get the name of the current
> directory into my prompt?" has always been:
>
> PS1=".$"

Are you sure?

$ export PS1=".$"
..$
..$cd www
..$

From: Seebs on
On 2010-05-10, pk <pk(a)pk.invalid> wrote:
> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>> The traditional answer to "How do I get the name of the current
>> directory into my prompt?" has always been:
>>
>> PS1=".$"

> Are you sure?

He's making a joke.

> $ export PS1=".$"
> .$
> .$cd www
> .$

And look! There it is, in your prompt: ".", the name of the current
directory.

He did not say it was a *useful* answer, only that it was the *traditional*
answer. I would quibble with "the", but it is certainly traditional on
Usenet to answer questions in a way which maximizes technical accuracy while
minimizing utility, in the hopes of teaching people to learn to ask better
questions.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: pk on
Seebs wrote:

> On 2010-05-10, pk <pk(a)pk.invalid> wrote:
>> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>>> The traditional answer to "How do I get the name of the current
>>> directory into my prompt?" has always been:
>>>
>>> PS1=".$"
>
>> Are you sure?
>
> He's making a joke.
>
>> $ export PS1=".$"
>> .$
>> .$cd www
>> .$
>
> And look! There it is, in your prompt: ".", the name of the current
> directory.
>
> He did not say it was a *useful* answer, only that it was the
> *traditional*
> answer. I would quibble with "the", but it is certainly traditional on
> Usenet to answer questions in a way which maximizes technical accuracy
> while minimizing utility, in the hopes of teaching people to learn to ask
> better questions.

Right. Apologies for not getting it...and it was quite obvious!