From: Allen Browne on
That might depend on who you are, Bob.

If you are part of a large organisation with policies in place to ensure
your application is adequately supported and maintained for decades to come,
I don't see any obligation on you to give them the source code.

But if you are an individual who cannot guarantee the client won't be in
trouble if you are dead or unable to support/maintain the application, you
may want to consider providing it to them. Whether you legally have an
obligation or not I can't comment, but you might want to consider whether
you have a moral obligation to ensure they are not stuck because they
trusted you.

You still provide an MDE for execution of course, but you might slip a Dev
folder onto the install disk containing the MDB.

From: Wayne on
On Mar 5, 11:56 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...(a)SeeSig.invalid> wrote:

> You still provide an MDE for execution of course, but you might slip a Dev
> folder onto the install disk containing the MDB.
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html

So Allen are you saying that you would generally not make a "song and
dance" about the fact that the source code has been supplied, however
it is readily available to anyone who goes searching for it?

From: Roger on
On Mar 4, 10:05 am, Bob Alston <bobalst...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Do you provide all source code (MDB) to client where you have custom
> developed software?
>
> Let's say you custom built software in Access/VBA and then client runs a
> MDE version of the software.
>
> NO written or oral agreement of who owns the copyright so according to
> work made for hire doctrine/law, the developer owns the copyright to the
> code.
>
> Do you go ahead and give the full source code to the client?
>
> Bob

you could provide a copy of the development folder to your lawyer with
instructions on who should get what / when

all your clients need to do is contact your lawyer if they have a
compelling reason to need the development version
From: Allen Browne on
"Wayne" <cqdigital(a)volcanomail.com> wrote in message
> On Mar 5, 11:56 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...(a)SeeSig.invalid> wrote:
> So Allen are you saying that you would generally not make a "song and
> dance" about the fact that the source code has been supplied, however
> it is readily available to anyone who goes searching for it?

That's an option to consider -- not necessarily the best (or only) one.

The main thing is that we, as developers, ensure our clients are not stuck.

From: Jim Devenish on
I develop bespoke Access based systems for small companies. I always
make clear to them that the software is theirs to use as they wish and
I supply the .mdb files. Work for a company is rarely a one-off
event. Extensions and modifications continue to years.

On three occasions clients have sold the system to others and in each
case the new owner has employed me to modify the system to their
needs. After all it was bespoke in the first place and another
company in the same industry usually has different needs.

By being open I have only gained new clients and have never
experienced any problems.

Jim

Pages: 1
Prev: Startup