From: Oltmans on
If I dump a Python dictionary into a file named "data.pkl" using
Pickle module on a Linux operating system, will the data contained in
"data.pkl" load fine in a Windows OS? I mean will I be able to load
the dictionary data contained in "data.pkl" just fine on Windows XP?

I could have tested it but don't have immediate access to a *nix based
system so please enlighten me. All help will be appreciated.
From: Daniel Fetchinson on
> If I dump a Python dictionary into a file named "data.pkl" using
> Pickle module on a Linux operating system, will the data contained in
> "data.pkl" load fine in a Windows OS?

Yes.

> I mean will I be able to load the dictionary data contained in "data.pkl"
> just fine on Windows XP?

Yes.

Cheers,
Daniel

From: Ross Ridge on
Oltmans <rolf.oltmans(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>If I dump a Python dictionary into a file named "data.pkl" using
>Pickle module on a Linux operating system, will the data contained in
>"data.pkl" load fine in a Windows OS? I mean will I be able to load
>the dictionary data contained in "data.pkl" just fine on Windows XP?

That will work just fine. The only thing that may be a problem is that
if you choose to use the newer pickle format, it won't work with versions
of Python before 2.3.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge(a)csclub.uwaterloo.ca
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-05-26, Oltmans <rolf.oltmans(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> If I dump a Python dictionary into a file named "data.pkl" using
> Pickle module on a Linux operating system, will the data contained in
> "data.pkl" load fine in a Windows OS?

That depends on the data and the version of Python. Older versions
didn't handle some floating point values (NAN, INF) in a portable
manner, and loading the pickled data would fail when such a value was
encountered.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! It's the RINSE CYCLE!!
at They've ALL IGNORED the