From: David Eather on
On 10/08/2010 2:41 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Does this type of "hook/latch" exist?
>
> http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/BarStockClamp.pdf
>
> I want to push a piece of bar stock into it and have it latch in
> place.
>
> Light load... maybe 2-3 pounds.
>
> ...Jim Thompson

A rare-earth magnet might be useful?
From: Jim Thompson on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 06:58:41 +1000, David Eather <eather(a)tpg.com.au>
wrote:

>On 10/08/2010 2:41 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
>> Does this type of "hook/latch" exist?
>>
>> http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/BarStockClamp.pdf
>>
>> I want to push a piece of bar stock into it and have it latch in
>> place.
>>
>> Light load... maybe 2-3 pounds.
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>
>A rare-earth magnet might be useful?

Magnetic is also in consideration.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: Gary Peek on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> Does this type of "hook/latch" exist?
>
> http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/BarStockClamp.pdf
>
> I want to push a piece of bar stock into it and have it latch in
> place.
>
> Light load... maybe 2-3 pounds.
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Search for "gate latch" and you will find some similar things
using round stock, if that helps.

From: ehsjr on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> Does this type of "hook/latch" exist?
>
> http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/BarStockClamp.pdf
>
> I want to push a piece of bar stock into it and have it latch in
> place.
>
> Light load... maybe 2-3 pounds.
>
> ...Jim Thompson

It looks sort of like a fence gate latch. But it'll probably
be easier to make one out of an L bracket, than to find one.

||_____O_ <- epoxy a nail near the end
'--------

Drawn without the upper plate in your diagram. If that plate
is necessary, just use 2 L brackets, cut and drill:

||||____
||'-----
||_____O_ <- epoxy a nail near the end
'--------

And simplest, an L with a hex headed bolt:

||_____B_
'------O-

The one above is how I hang my 36' extension ladder. The head
of the bolt is enough to ensure it _cannot_ slide off accidently.
You have to lift it up a bit, then you can move it away from
the wall.

Ed
From: Jim Thompson on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:57:50 -0400, ehsjr <ehsjr(a)nospamverizon.net>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> Does this type of "hook/latch" exist?
>>
>> http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/BarStockClamp.pdf
>>
>> I want to push a piece of bar stock into it and have it latch in
>> place.
>>
>> Light load... maybe 2-3 pounds.
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>
>It looks sort of like a fence gate latch. But it'll probably
>be easier to make one out of an L bracket, than to find one.

> ||_____O_ <- epoxy a nail near the end
> '--------
>
>Drawn without the upper plate in your diagram. If that plate
>is necessary, just use 2 L brackets, cut and drill:

> ||'-----
> ||_____O_ <- epoxy a nail near the end
> '--------
>
>And simplest, an L with a hex headed bolt:

> ||_____B_
> '------O-
>
>The one above is how I hang my 36' extension ladder. The head
>of the bolt is enough to ensure it _cannot_ slide off accidently.
>You have to lift it up a bit, then you can move it away from
>the wall.
>
>Ed

You're reading my mind. As I chew on this (obviously) honey-do
project I came up with:

|| ___B___
|| ---O--- Movable Plate
'-------T--- Bracket