From: Y z on

After a large upgrade of many packages on Ubuntu Karmic, postfix has stopped working properly. Symptoms:

lost of
postfix/smtpd[5922]: warning: 224.90.55.65.bl.spamcop.net: RBL lookup error: Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=224.90.55.65..bl.spamcop.net type=A: Host not found, try again

and, on every message coming in, rejection:
postfix/smtpd[5916]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[65.55.90.236]: 450 4.1.8 <munged(a)hotmail.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<munged(a)hotmail.com> to=<recipient-munged(a)mungeddomain.invalid> proto=ESMTP helo=<snt0-omc4-s33.snt0.hotmail.com>

dig and nslookup work from the command prompt, both as root and a non-privileged user.

As far as I can tell, I am not running chroot-ed.

Postfix version is 2.6.5; I'll post postconf -n if it helps.

Where do I start troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Thanks!

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Y z put forth on 4/28/2010 1:36 AM:

> Where do I start troubleshooting?

Start by making sure that these match:

/etc/resolv.conf
/var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf

When cli dns tools work, that usually means the first file above is correct,
fsvo "correct". When postfix can't resolve dns, it usually means the second
file's contents have changed since it was working previously.

Your files might be in slightly different locations depending on your OS,
but you get the general idea of what you need to look for.

Hope this helps, and is timely. Sounds like you're in a pinch.

--
Stan

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Stan Hoeppner put forth on 4/28/2010 1:50 AM:
> Y z put forth on 4/28/2010 1:36 AM:
>
>> Where do I start troubleshooting?
>
> Start by making sure that these match:
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf
>
> When cli dns tools work, that usually means the first file above is correct,
> fsvo "correct". When postfix can't resolve dns, it usually means the second
> file's contents have changed since it was working previously.
>
> Your files might be in slightly different locations depending on your OS,
> but you get the general idea of what you need to look for.
>
> Hope this helps, and is timely. Sounds like you're in a pinch.

Forgot to mention: restart Postfix after making the change or it won't take
effect. A reload might work also but I'm not sure. Best to go with a
restart. On many systems, and specifically Debian/Ubuntu, as root:

~$ /etc/init.d/postfix restart

--
Stan

From: Y z on

> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 01:56:55 -0500
> From: stan(a)hardwarefreak.com
> To: postfix-users(a)postfix.org
> Subject: Re: 'Domain not found' errors after Ubuntu upgrade
>
> Stan Hoeppner put forth on 4/28/2010 1:50 AM:
>> Y z put forth on 4/28/2010 1:36 AM:
>>
>>> Where do I start troubleshooting?
>>
>> Start by making sure that these match:
>>
>> /etc/resolv.conf
>> /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf

Yup. Postfix start warns me if they differ.
I tried putting in nameservers  there, but that makes it worse: then postfix (it's supposed to relay) accepts the messages, then can't find te relay domain, so it bounces them. Ouch.

>> When cli dns tools work, that usually means the first file above is correct,
>> fsvo "correct". When postfix can't resolve dns, it usually means the second
>> file's contents have changed since it was working previously.
>>
>> Your files might be in slightly different locations depending on your OS,
>> but you get the general idea of what you need to look for.
>>
>> Hope this helps, and is timely. Sounds like you're in a pinch.
>
> Forgot to mention: restart Postfix after making the change or it won't take
> effect. A reload might work also but I'm not sure. Best to go with a
> restart. On many systems, and specifically Debian/Ubuntu, as root:
>
> ~$ /etc/init.d/postfix restart

Yup. Been starting and stopping for a while now. :-(

From: Uwe Dippel on

>>> Start by making sure that these match:
>>>
>>> /etc/resolv.conf
>>> /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf
>>>

> Yup. Postfix start warns me if they differ.
> I tried putting in nameservers there, but that makes it worse: then postfix (it's supposed to relay) accepts the messages, then can't find te relay domain, so it bounces them. Ouch.
>
>> ~$ /etc/init.d/postfix restart
>>

> Yup. Been starting and stopping for a while now. :-(

I had something similar a few days back, when - duh - all my incoming
mail got stuck for the same reason. I knew about the two resolv.conf,
but nothing helped.
Then I tried some dig another.domain.com MX, and it timed out, while dig
another.domain.com didn't. Once name resolution of MX was back, postfix
was back after a restart. I dunno, if it was a bad coincidence, though I
didn't like it all too much.

Good luck,

Uwe

 |  Next  |  Last