From: Martin v. Loewis on
Microsoft has just released Visual Studio 2010, along with its free (of
charge) Express edition. Following a tradition, they are likely to
withdraw support and availability for VS 2008 Express some time in the
future.

Python 2.6, 2.7, and 3.1 are all built with that release (i.e. 2008).
Because of another long tradition, Python extension modules must be
built with the same compiler version (more specifically, CRT version) as
Python itself. So to build extension modules for any of these releases,
you need to have a copy of VS 2008 or VS 2008 Express.

If you are planning to build Python extension modules in the next five
years, I recommend that you obtain a copy of VS Express, just in case
Microsoft removes it from their servers. As mentioned, it's free of
charge. When downloading it for later use, it's probably best to get the
offline ISO image release, available from

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2008-All

Disclaimer: I'm not connected with Microsoft or its release process. Any
claim on future actions that Microsoft may take is purely hypothetical.

Regards,
Martin
From: Michel Claveau - MVP on
Hi!

Thanks for this idea.

Michel Claveau
From: Neil Hodgson on
Martin v. Loewis:

> Python 2.6, 2.7, and 3.1 are all built with that release (i.e. 2008).
> Because of another long tradition, Python extension modules must be
> built with the same compiler version (more specifically, CRT version) as
> Python itself. So to build extension modules for any of these releases,
> you need to have a copy of VS 2008 or VS 2008 Express.

Is it too late for Python 2.7 to update to using Visual Studio 2010?
It is going to be much easier for people to find and install the current
version of VS than the previous. There is still more than 2 months left
before 2.7 is planned to be released.

Neil
From: Lie Ryan on
On 04/13/10 06:36, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> Microsoft has just released Visual Studio 2010, along with its free (of
> charge) Express edition. Following a tradition, they are likely to
> withdraw support and availability for VS 2008 Express some time in the
> future.

If only Python could do that, just pull the plug out and not offer
archaic versions for download. If that has been the tradition all along
probably people would be rushing to download Python 3 when it's hot and
porting all their code in fear of using a no longer supported compiler
instead of complaining how they're still using python 1.5 and now
there's python 3.0 breaking compatibility.

I guess I'm glad that whatever python program I wrote now would still be
easily runnable with no change in twenty years or so.
From: Robin Becker on
On 12/04/2010 21:36, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> If you are planning to build Python extension modules in the next five
> years, I recommend that you obtain a copy of VS Express, just in case
> Microsoft removes it from their servers. As mentioned, it's free of
> charge. When downloading it for later use, it's probably best to get the
> offline ISO image release, available from
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2008-All

Is it sufficient to download just the setup program vcsetup.exe or do people
need to obtain the offline iso which presumably has the full content in it.
--
Robin Becker