From: Norm on

"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> I am not sure if this is possible, but the term used for this is "Drop
> Target". The easiest thing to do is to make a borderless form, say of a
> size of 32x32, or 64x64, and make it topmost. Add a right click popup menu
> so the user can exit from it(See "PopupMenu method" in MSDN).
>
> Another choice, is to create an icon on the desktop and make it a drop
> target, but this can be easily covered by other windows. Download "Shell
> Extensions", "Shell Extensions [FIX - Missing files]", and "OLELIB.TLB -
> OLE interfaces & functions v1.7" files below. This install many shell
> extension samples, including a desktop icon acting as a drop target called
> "Edanmo's File Shredder". When you drop files on it, it prompts you if you
> really want to delete the files. This works like the Recycle Bin.
>
> Namespace Edanmo - Visual Basic 6
> http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml

Thanks for the information and I was about to post a url to a program that
did let you drop and drag to the System bar, but when I re-installed it I
found I was wrong, a senior moment perhaps. :-) The program has added a
right click context menu to windows explorer to allow you to use the program
without opening it.

I think for my uses I will try to add the right click option to the windows
explorer context menu, as I usually keep all my desktop Icons hidden, I
personally hate looking at the icons in front of my nice wallpaper picture.
:-)

Thanks again for all the suggestions and I will look at Edanmo's shell
function's, I have visited his site before and will do so again.

Norm