From: Speed on
I've recently graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. As it
turns out, my first job out of school is designing HVAC systems.

All of the designers run around with these cardboard "ductilators" that
are used for sizing duct based on volume flow rate and either velocity
or pressure loss. I apparently have a disability that prevents me from
using this apparatus properly, so I've decided to write a program on my
calculator (hp49g+) that will do this for me.

I've generated the equations using my ductilator (hopefully the right
way) One of the equations is exponential, and the other is actually
quadratic. So i'm thinking "This is pretty easy, I wonder if anyone
has done it already?"

And that is my question! Does anyone know of a program for the
hp49g/g+ that will size duct work for air conditioning and heating?
I'll be writing one if no one responds, but I don't want to do work
that someone else has already done.

Thanks,

--CS

From: Stefano Priore on
Speed wrote:

> I've recently graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. As it
> turns out, my first job out of school is designing HVAC systems.
>
> All of the designers run around with these cardboard "ductilators" that
> are used for sizing duct based on volume flow rate and either velocity
> or pressure loss. I apparently have a disability that prevents me from
> using this apparatus properly, so I've decided to write a program on my
> calculator (hp49g+) that will do this for me.
>
> I've generated the equations using my ductilator (hopefully the right
> way) One of the equations is exponential, and the other is actually
> quadratic. So i'm thinking "This is pretty easy, I wonder if anyone
> has done it already?"
>
> And that is my question! Does anyone know of a program for the
> hp49g/g+ that will size duct work for air conditioning and heating?
> I'll be writing one if no one responds, but I don't want to do work
> that someone else has already done.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --CS

Well, if it's just two equations you wouldn't even need a program, the
multiple equation solver just fits your case.

On www.hpcalc.org there is a nifty program called "MSOLVR Program maker"
that automatizes the use of MSOLVR creating a stand-alone program given the
equations, the units and so on.

BTW I assume that the quadratic equation you mention is

deltap/(0.5*rho*V^2)=4*Fanning(x/D,Re)*(x/D)+K to relate geometry of the
pipe with pressure loss

while the exp one is

m*sqrt(R*Ttot)/(A*ptot)=sqrt(gamma)*M*[1+M^2*(gamma-1)/2]^[-(gamma+1)/2*(gamma-1)]

to compute m/rho (=Q, volumetric mass flow)

MSOLVR shouldn't have problems in solving these, but SOLVESYS is my solver
of choice for these kind of problems.

--
Stefano Priore | Debian Sarge 3.1r0
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
From: Speed on
> deltap/(0.5*rho*V^2)=4*Fanning(x/D,Re)*(x/D)+K to relate geometry of the
> pipe with pressure loss
>
> while the exp one is
>
> m*sqrt(R*Ttot)/(A*ptot)=sqrt(gamma)*M*[1+M^2*(gamma-1)/2]^[-(gamma+1)/2*(gamma-1)]
>
> to compute m/rho (=Q, volumetric mass flow)

Actually, I hadn't really even gotten into that level of detail!
Thanks for the information, now I have a little better understanding of
why things worked out the way they did.

What I did was use the ductilator (cheap piece of cardboard) to
generate a list of volume flow rates and their corresponding duct
sizes. Then I plotted them into excel, and found the trend line that
worked the best (for this one I used a log/log plot for instance which
gave me a straight line).

The research that I did regarding this subject made it look like I
needed top solve four non-linear equations. This sounds like a very
slow way of getting an answer that only needs to be accurate to the
nearest inch.

Since I only wanted a not-so-accurate number quickly, I decided to
throw physics to the wind, and just get the calculator to generate
numbers. Then I can work on getting the calculator to round the
numbers to the nearest preferred size (which MES won't do).

Thank you very much for your input!

--CS

From: bpwalsh on
Some time ago I wrote a comprehensive set of routines (in a directory)
for calculating HVAC duct friction loss, etc. using the DARCY function.
The stuff works on both 48GX and 49g+, the latter being much more
satisfactory in terms of speed although the 48 version is usable. Round
and rectangular sizes are accommodated, as well as different absolute
roughness, density, and dynamic viscosity. A companion set of routines
accommodate round and flat oval sizes.

The programs were presented at last fall's HP handheld users'
conference here in Chicago and were published on the CD distributed.
Email me for a copy of the paper.
bpwalsh(at)speakeasy(dot)net
I would very much appreciate any improvements you make.

Brian Walsh

From: Speed on
Thanks, I've already e-mailed you. I'm anxious to see what you've got!

Have you thought of submitting it to hpcalc.org?

--CS

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: ROT ROT - oh GROB!