From: "Sharma, Ashish" on
Hello,

I have set up a postfix(2.6.6) mail receiving server (customized with three milters (dkim,sid, custom java milter) and two content filters (amavisd, custom java based)).

Is it possible that if someone sends a mail for my postfix and it gets received in a manner that duplicate mails get generated on my side?

In what circumstances is it possible and what kind of remedies if any I can put in place to avoid such a thing.

I am posting this question because one of the testers posted such an observation and I am unable to verify/discredit his claims by checking the postfix logs.

Thanks in advance
Ashish Sharma

From: Jeroen Geilman on

> Hello,
>
> I have set up a postfix(2.6.6) mail receiving server (customized with three milters (dkim,sid, custom java milter) and two content filters (amavisd, custom java based)).
>
> Is it possible that if someone sends a mail for my postfix and it gets received in a manner that duplicate mails get generated on my side?
>
> In what circumstances is it possible and what kind of remedies if any I can put in place to avoid such a thing.
>
> I am posting this question because one of the testers posted such an observation and I am unable to verify/discredit his claims by checking the postfix logs.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ashish Sharma

Show the logs.

If they don't show duplicates, there are no duplicates if postfix is the
only process sending mail out.

J.

From: Wietse Venema on
Sharma, Ashish:
> Is it possible that if someone sends a mail for my postfix and it
> gets received in a manner that duplicate mails get generated on
> my side?

Yes.

> In what circumstances is it possible and what kind of remedies if
> any I can put in place to avoid such a thing.

There are multiple circumstances. Examples are mis-configured
content filters, mis-configured timeouts, mis-configured owner
aliases, nested aliases, and more.

If you want specific help, then you will have to tell more
about the specific configuration and the specific symptoms.

Wietse