From: Sysu on
Windows XP SP3
IE 7
It is my understanding that my PC does not have a DVD decoder. I am
wondering if this is what I need to install software (e.g. PC games)on DVD
Rom discs like I am able to install CD Rom software?
In Device Manager it shows DVD/CD-Rom, SAMSUNG 248F. I have read in
various groups that DVD's can be played via Windows Media Player. But, when
clicking the tools option in the Media Player 11, the DVD/CD option is greyed
out. I assume I do need a decoder for that.

I want to be able to install DVD-rom software. Most everything I see that I
want is this type. It is very hard to find the games I want to install on
CD-rom.

Also, I download via Standard User and install via my Administrative acct.
and go on the internet via Standard User. Some games I installed are also
listed on my Standard User acc. to play. I would like to play all of them
via the Standard User. Is there a way to set up for this? Is it safe to
play PC games logged onto an Admininstrative acct.? Because one has a
popup at the beginning saying "You are logged in as standard user, you need
to connect to the internet to enjoy other options" and this is the only one
that allows me to play as Standard User.

Thanking you in Advance for your help and being there
From: Shenan Stanley on
Sysu wrote:
> Windows XP SP3
> IE 7
>
> It is my understanding that my PC does not have a DVD decoder.
> I am wondering if this is what I need to install software (e.g. PC
> games) on DVD Rom discs like I am able to install CD Rom software?
>
> In Device Manager it shows DVD/CD-Rom, SAMSUNG 248F.
> I have read in various groups that DVD's can be played via
> Windows Media Player. But, when clicking the tools option in
> the Media Player 11, the DVD/CD option is greyed out. I
> assume I do need a decoder for that.
>
> I want to be able to install DVD-rom software. Most everything I
> see that I want is this type. It is very hard to find the games I
> want to install on CD-rom.
>
> Also, I download via Standard User and install via my
> Administrative acct. and go on the internet via Standard User.
> Some games I installed are also listed on my Standard User acc. to
> play. I would like to play all of them via the Standard User. Is
> there a way to set up for this? Is it safe to play PC games logged
> onto an Admininstrative acct.? Because one has a popup at the
> beginning saying "You are logged in as standard user, you need to
> connect to the internet to enjoy other options" and this is the
> only one that allows me to play as Standard User.
>
> Thanking you in Advance for your help and being there

"DVD decoder" is for playing DVD videos - like movies you would buy/rent.

If you have a working DVD drive and proper drivers installed (usually by
default) - then you can read DVD data without anything else.

As for the installation question - depends on the games and how they do
shortcuts and permissions. For the most part you probably are just missing
the shortcut to start the game - not an inability to play - just that the
start menu/desktop icon was only created for the user you installed as - not
all users.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Ol�rin on

"Sysu" <Sysu(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP SP3
> IE 7
> It is my understanding that my PC does not have a DVD decoder. I am
> wondering if this is what I need to install software (e.g. PC games)on DVD
> Rom discs like I am able to install CD Rom software?
> In Device Manager it shows DVD/CD-Rom, SAMSUNG 248F. I have read in
> various groups that DVD's can be played via Windows Media Player. But,
> when
> clicking the tools option in the Media Player 11, the DVD/CD option is
> greyed
> out. I assume I do need a decoder for that.
>
> I want to be able to install DVD-rom software. Most everything I see that
> want is this type. It is very hard to find the games I want to install on
> CD-rom.
>
> Also, I download via Standard User and install via my Administrative acct.
> and go on the internet via Standard User. Some games I installed are
> also
> listed on my Standard User acc. to play. I would like to play all of them
> via the Standard User. Is there a way to set up for this? Is it safe to
> play PC games logged onto an Admininstrative acct.? Because one has a
> popup at the beginning saying "You are logged in as standard user, you
> need
> to connect to the internet to enjoy other options" and this is the only
> one
> that allows me to play as Standard User.
>

> Thanking you in Advance for your help and being there

Just to add to Shenan's reply: if you did want to *play* DVDs (eg: films, as
opposed to opening data DVD discs eg: games) then you can't use Windows
Media Player as it stands, because of the "DVD decoder" issue you found. The
best free app for this I've found is VLC Player,
http://www.videolan.org/vlc.