From: Arndt Roger Schneider on
Yotta Meter schrieb:

>>I agree with Mark that SVG is important for web-deployment.
>>Javascript however is a last resort. Most, if not all, interactions can
>>be encapsulated inside of SVG and SMIL. There is very little need for
>>Javascript--which is also good for a cross-language approach.
>>
>>-roger
>>

>Long term I really need individual event handling on each node of the
>SVG document, which is why I wouldn't put interactions within the SVG
>doc.

SVG grants this type of access.
Event handling is an integral part of the SVG specification.
If the job gets more complex use SMIL.
Javascript or rather direct DOM manipulation is needed to
communicate to the outside world.

--Don't think in graphical terms here, SVG is more than that.

>Thanks for explaining the difference between bitmaps and vector based
>images. I have a beginner 'black box' view of what I want, an image that
>is essentially a set of objects that I can modify properties on at
>runtime. I'm assuming SVG is the only technology that will give me this.

Depends on what your requirements are, SVG has many predecessors.
Very likely every visualization system could perform the required task...
but SVG has the potential to become the lingua franca of vector graphics and
graphical user interfaces.

-roger

From: Yotta Meter on
Ok, I'm really drinking your Kool-Aid and really want to believe every
visualization system could perform this task, but I'm not seeing it.

For instance, in Qt they can only render SVG. Can it accept javascript
wrapping SVG and handling event? The same for Flex.

If you're interested I could show you what we are doing in our startup,
maybe that would give you a better idea.

From: Yotta Meter on
If anyone is in the silicon valley area would be able to show me how to
capture mouse events over individual elements on an SVG graph using
either flex or Qt I'd pay $50/hour.