From: siljaline on
Andy Walker wrote:
<snip>

These spam posts are being sent via a bot of some sort Andy.

They hide behind Google-Groups but those are likely forged.

I've run a traceroute on each IP from and the all originate for differing locations.

Since some are in HTML, if anyone sees one, ignore it or delete the message from
your newsreader.

Silj

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

From: siljaline on
ASCII wrote:
> siljaline wrote:
>>
>>Since some are in HTML, if anyone sees one, ignore it or delete the message from
>>your newsreader.
>
> My newsreader either ignores HTML
> or presents it as an attachment.
> I routinely delete those in non-binary groups.

This is a good thing that your newsreader can ignore HTML, unfortunately mine can't.
If the message header is suspect, I don't "read" aka open it.

Thanks for the note.

From: David Kaye on
"siljaline" <spam(a)uce.gov> wrote:

>This is a good thing that your newsreader can ignore HTML, unfortunately =
>mine can't.=20
>If the message header is suspect, I don't "read" aka open it.

Unfortunately, your post has a garbage title on it, to wit:
=?iso-8859-1?B?UmU6INPt49LHyiAoIMvt4yAtIMvt48fKICkg5Obf7ccgRTcxIOYgRTcy?=
=?iso-8859-1?B?IOPkIOXkxyDjzMfkxw==?=

From: siljaline on
David Kaye wrote:
> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>

>>Those strings are interpreted and shown as Arabic.
>
> But Usenet is an ASCII system. Thus, many newsreaders will show gibberish
> because they're based on the Usenet RFP.

Not wanting to add more fuel to the flames, all you ever wanted to know about Usenet
but were afraid to ask:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet>