From: "Kevin Grittner" on
Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(a)cybertec.at> wrote:

> attached is a patch that adds the missing feature

> I certainly feel that this should be applied to 9.0 as a bugfix.

Those two statements seem to contradict one another. Is there some
bug manifestation beyond an unimplemented feature this fixes?
Without this, is there some regression going from 8.4 to 9.0?

-Kevin

From: Alvaro Herrera on
Excerpts from Michael Meskes's message of jue ago 05 05:39:46 -0400 2010:
> Sorry I thought Zoltan's explanation was clear enough. All prior ECPG versions were fine because dynamic cursor names were only added in 9.0. Apparently only this one place was missed. So this is a bug in the new feature, however not such a major one that it warrants the complete removal IMO. I'd prefer to fix this in 9.0.1.

Since we're still in the beta phase, it makes sense to apply the fix
right now so that it appears in 9.0. No point in waiting for 9.0.1.

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(a)commandprompt.com>

From: Tom Lane on
Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(a)cybertec.at> writes:
> Alvaro Herrera írta:
>> Since we're still in the beta phase, it makes sense to apply the fix
>> right now so that it appears in 9.0. No point in waiting for 9.0.1.

> It boils down to the fact that Michael doesn't have too much time
> and no one else knows ECPG in depth. So...

Yeah. I think what Michael is saying is he doesn't have time to review
the patch now and doesn't want to hold up 9.0 until he does. We can
delay 9.0 for him, or apply the patch unreviewed, or allow 9.0 to go out
with this as a known bug. I don't much care for #2, given the size of
the patch.

regards, tom lane

From: "Kevin Grittner" on
Michael Meskes <michael(a)fam-meskes.de> wrote:
> All prior ECPG versions were fine because dynamic cursor names
> were only added in 9.0. Apparently only this one place was
> missed. So this is a bug in the new feature, however not such a
> major one that it warrants the complete removal IMO. I'd prefer to
> fix this in 9.0.1.
>
> Hope this cleans it up a bit.

Thanks. I think I get it now.

To restate from another angle, to confirm my understanding: UPDATE
WHERE CURRENT OF is working for cursors with the name hard-coded in
the embedded statement, which is the only way cursor names were
allowed to be specified prior to 9.0; 9.0 implements dynamic cursor
names, allowing you to use a variable for the cursor name; but this
one use of a cursor name isn't allowing a variable yet. Do I have
it right? (If so, I now see why it would be considered a bug.)

-Kevin