From: "Bill McCarthy" TPASoft.com Are Identity on

"mayayana" <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote in message

> Note that the docs say EM_CHARFROMPOS returns the nearest
> char. offset in the low word and the nearest line number in the
> high word.

What doc ?

>That info. seems to be either outdated or just wrong.

Or your source is outdated.

> As far as I can tell, the return value is just the char. offset.
> (Which makes sense. If it were the low word then only 65000-odd
> characters could be counted.)

<sigh> There is indeed a limit on edit controls around that area, but rich
edit controls don't return a Long containing the co-ordinates, rather they
return a pointer to a POINTL structure which has two 32 bit fields.

Here's the first link google returns. I suggest you read it:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb761566(VS.85).aspx

From: mayayana on

> If you are using the mouse up, unless you intervene, the selection has
been
> set. In which case you really only need to call EM_LINEFROMCHAR passing
> in -1 as the wParam. That will give you the line index of the selection.

Eduardo M. actually has a GetCharPos function for
that. It's a bit confusing in that his function returns the
line and/or column number and requires the char. offset
as input.

From: Jan Opitz on
Many thanks to both of you.

EM_LINEFROMCHAR seems to be a very convenient way to find the character.

@mayayana:
could you please tell me how to manage the char offset as input for the
GetCharPos in Eduardo's Richedit?

Regards, Jan

From: Jan Opitz on
Hi Bill,

yes, thanks. This made me think of using RE.Selection.Range.StartPos
It is just too bad there is no simple approach with MouseMove

Jan

From: Jan Opitz on
Yes, that's the problem. I am still experimenting, but so far the value
returned from CHARFROMPOS is not usable. I changed
Pt1.x = 1 to Pt1.x = x to get a bit closer, but still not much
success.

Jan

> Doesn't EM_CHARFROMPOS do that, regardless of font size?
> Maybe you should explain what you're trying to accomplish.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: SendInput and Unicode
Next: Run Time Creating Controls