From: Douglas Beeson on
First my daughter's iPod starting sounding strange. When she let me
listen (took some negotiation), it seemed as if the sound had dropped
either all, or a significant chunk of, the bass response. Singers no
longer sounded autotuned (!). Wiggling the plug in the 1/8" connector
sometimes helped, as did changing earbuds.
Then tonight, on a flight home, I experienced the same problem with my
own (otherwise perfectly reliable) earbuds on the aircraft
entertainment system: very attenuated bass and midrange. Instant bad
karaoke.

What could be going on with the connector? I could understand crackle
and complete loss of signal, but this seems very frequency selective.
If the input stage has a high-pass filter on it, wouldn't increasing
impedence lower the cutoff frequency, not raise it?

From: Glenn Gundlach on
On Aug 3, 7:07 pm, Douglas Beeson <unkown(a)xnntp> wrote:
> First my daughter's iPod starting sounding strange. When she let me
> listen (took some negotiation), it seemed as if the sound had dropped
> either all, or a significant chunk of, the bass response. Singers no
> longer sounded autotuned (!). Wiggling the plug in the 1/8" connector
> sometimes helped, as did changing earbuds.
> Then tonight, on a flight home, I experienced the same problem with my
> own (otherwise perfectly reliable) earbuds on the aircraft
> entertainment system: very attenuated bass and midrange. Instant bad
> karaoke.
>
> What could be going on with the connector? I could understand crackle
> and complete loss of signal, but this seems very frequency selective.
> If the input stage has a high-pass filter on it, wouldn't increasing
> impedence lower the cutoff frequency, not raise it?

Are they clogged with ear wax ?

From: Dennis on

"Glenn Gundlach" <stratus46(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Aug 3, 7:07 pm, Douglas Beeson <unkown(a)xnntp> wrote:
> First my daughter's iPod starting sounding strange. When she let me
> listen (took some negotiation), it seemed as if the sound had dropped
> either all, or a significant chunk of, the bass response. Singers no
> longer sounded autotuned (!). Wiggling the plug in the 1/8" connector
> sometimes helped, as did changing earbuds.
> Then tonight, on a flight home, I experienced the same problem with my
> own (otherwise perfectly reliable) earbuds on the aircraft
> entertainment system: very attenuated bass and midrange. Instant bad
> karaoke.
>
> What could be going on with the connector? I could understand crackle
> and complete loss of signal, but this seems very frequency selective.
> If the input stage has a high-pass filter on it, wouldn't increasing
> impedence lower the cutoff frequency, not raise it?

Are they clogged with ear wax ?

G�

If they are coated with earwax, be careful, our dog has eaten two sets of
earbuds.
He seems to like the wax, nom nom nom....

From: Blarp on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 20:33:36 -0700 (PDT), Glenn Gundlach
<stratus46(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Aug 3, 7:07�pm, Douglas Beeson <unkown(a)xnntp> wrote:
>> First my daughter's iPod starting sounding strange. When she let me
>> listen (took some negotiation), it seemed as if the sound had dropped
>> either all, or a significant chunk of, the bass response. Singers no
>> longer sounded autotuned (!). Wiggling the plug in the 1/8" connector
>> sometimes helped, as did changing earbuds.
>> Then tonight, on a flight home, I experienced the same problem with my
>> own (otherwise perfectly reliable) earbuds on the aircraft
>> entertainment system: very attenuated bass and midrange. Instant bad
>> karaoke.
>>
>> What could be going on with the connector? I could understand crackle
>> and complete loss of signal, but this seems very frequency selective.
>> If the input stage has a high-pass filter on it, wouldn't increasing
>> impedence lower the cutoff frequency, not raise it?
>
>Are they clogged with ear wax ?
>
>G�

Broken ground or plug not inserted deep enough
From: Paul Keinanen on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:11:21 +0200, Blarp <dont(a)bother.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 20:33:36 -0700 (PDT), Glenn Gundlach
><stratus46(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Aug 3, 7:07�pm, Douglas Beeson <unkown(a)xnntp> wrote:
>>> First my daughter's iPod starting sounding strange. When she let me
>>> listen (took some negotiation), it seemed as if the sound had dropped
>>> either all, or a significant chunk of, the bass response.

>Broken ground or plug not inserted deep enough

This is the most plausible explanation.

With missing ground connection, the two headphones are in series and
fed with the L-R stereo difference signal.

A typical stereophonic recording does not contain much bass
directional signal, thus, when listening on the differential signal
only, there is not going to be much bass.