From: eden on
Hi

I am new to this group and new to embedded world. I both few months ago
this board
for beginers (link in English for the descendant EasyAVR2
http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/product/tools/etools.htm#3
with some addons, I couldn't find the link to my version, suppose it is
outdated, this one have USB programmer, my has paralel port). The
studio they ship with it was also very old 16bit Windows, I don't
remember exectly the version, but from Atmel.

Now, my problem was, I couldn't write anything into the chip (90S8515).
This studio could connect to the board, read the EEPROM and program,
but if I tried to erase or write something back, it was always failing,
without any specific error.
I tryied getting in contact with the support of this site, but they
didn't bother too much answering back. All they could do was to reffer
me to their poor users manual. But, I am sure I understanded it well, I
am novice in embeded programming, but I am C/C++ programmer >5 years
already, and I don't think there is much place for misunderstanding in
their several pages user's manual.

So, afer many sleepless nights, posting questions to several forums for
Atmel AVR on the web, downloading different programs for transferring
to the chip, aso... I put the board aside and forgot my little
adventure in the embedded world.

But, today I found this group, reading in comp.lang.c++.moderated the
George Neuner posts there, so slight light of hope cross my mind.

Is there any way I could check what's wrong with this board? As I
mentioned earlier, I am novice in this field, I even don't have all the
tools needed for mesurement the voltage or amperage, but I am willing
to get them, if I could get good guidence.

Thanks for any help.
Goran

From: kunil on

First thing to do :
What kind of board that you use (EasyAVRv2 is just vendors name, not
Atmel's official board) ?

Do you have the schematic of it ? You should have it, because its your
right as customer (you cant do anything without the board's schematic
in your hand, thats why you MUST have it). Pls upload it somewhere, so
I or someone can help.

Thus, what is the name of software that you use to compile your
firmware ? What's the name of software that you use to download
(read/write) to EEPROM/Flash ?

If you are using C/C++ to compile, probably it's GCC (alias WinAVR
alias AVR-GCC), IAR, or CodeVision. CodeVision have ability to download
your firmware from its IDE.

What is your operating system ? You need to be specific so someone can
help you. Since we are not there, we cant see the problem.

-kunil

From: kunil on

First thing to do :

From: eden on
At the moment, I am not at home, so I'll post all the details this
evening
around 20.00h (GMT+1). From the things I know:
Yes, I think there was a JPG (or some other format) of the board
shematic. I'll upload it somewhere.
For the name of the software, I am not sure, but I'll put also this
info later.
I didn't use any compiler yet, my first try was to erase the chip
and/or to upload precompiled bynaries that came with the board.
I tried Win311 (the program is 16bit), Win95, Win98, Win2000, WinXP and
Linux (Ubuntu). For windows versions I was using the supplied software
from with the board. For Linux I downloaded opensource program, I'll
check later the name. But, none was working.
I get some suggestions at the time (few months ago) that maybe if I use
WinXP, my ParallelPort could be not accessable, but this can't be the
case 'couse I tried many OSs.

Goran

From: Wayne Farmer on

"eden" <goran.burchevski(a)sicoorp.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am new to this group and new to embedded world. I both few months ago
> this board
> for beginers (link in English for the descendant EasyAVR2
> http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/product/tools/etools.htm#3
> with some addons, I couldn't find the link to my version, suppose it is
> outdated, this one have USB programmer, my has paralel port). The
> studio they ship with it was also very old 16bit Windows, I don't
> remember exectly the version, but from Atmel.
>
> Now, my problem was, I couldn't write anything into the chip (90S8515).
> This studio could connect to the board, read the EEPROM and program,
> but if I tried to erase or write something back, it was always failing,
> without any specific error.

Is there a jumper on the board that is currently set to prevent the EEPROM
from being erased or written to? Does the chip that you're using have
EEPROM, and is that EEPROM unlocked?