From: Tom Roberts on
Arindam Banerjee wrote:
> [bending of light by the sun]
> As we all know, a glass or plastic lens bends light, simply because
> the light passing through same has to have the same phase front and
> also travel slower. This is just what is happening when the starlight
> passes through the dense (or light, depending upon radial distance)
> atmosphere outside the sun. In other words, the sun is acting as an
> optical lens, and thus bending the starlight.

No. You REALLY need to read the literature. In particular, the bending of light
by the sun due to gravitation is INDEPENDENT OF WAVELENGTH of the light. The
optical refraction of the sun's atmosphere depends on the wavelength of the
light. Measurements have been made at multiple wavelengths that include a model
of the sun's atmosphere, and the effect due to gravitation dominates; the result
is consistent with GR.

Also, the sun's deflection of microwaves has been measured via VLBI out past 90
degrees from the sun, where the solar atmosphere is completely negligible. Such
a path does not get any closer to the sun than the earth is, yet the sun's
gravitational deflection is measurable and consistent with GR.

> To totally ignore this optical aspect, [...]

It is not ignored in the physics literature. For you to totally ignore the
physics literature is indeed "terrific bungling or intellectual dishonesty of
the lowest kind".

Also, you completely ignored the fact that there are many other tests of GR.

And there are 3 potential refutations of GR for which the jury
is still out: the Pioneer anomaly, dark matter and energy, and
spacecraft flyby anomalies.

Tom Roberts