From: Stephen Leake on
Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Jeffrey R. Carter expounded in news:htjfib$cdd$1(a)tornado.tornevall.net:
>
>> Adam Beneschan wrote:
>>>
>>> Just kidding. (Insert old joke with punchline "there's whiteout all
>>> over your screen" here.) But while I think some people are able to
>>> cope without printouts, others sometimes need to have that piece of
>>> paper to look at. Don't ask me why.
>>
>> I recall a study that determined that people found more errors in code
>> when examining it on paper than on screen.
>
> I find in my day job, that large (mainframe) COBOL
> programs are easier to debug in print form. I know
> it is considered "old school" by my co-workers, but
> I make a lot of use of those cross-reference listings
> in my analysis.

I use cross-references with Ada as well. But Emacs knows how to use
them, so I just use C-c C-d to navigate the cross-references.

--
-- Stephe
From: Warren on
Stephen Leake expounded in news:82r5kwrxwv.fsf(a)stephe-leake.org:

@tornado.tornevall.net:

>>> I recall a study that determined that people found more errors in
code
>>> when examining it on paper than on screen.
>>
>> I find in my day job, that large (mainframe) COBOL
>> programs are easier to debug in print form. I know
>> it is considered "old school" by my co-workers, but
>> I make a lot of use of those cross-reference listings
>> in my analysis.
>
> I use cross-references with Ada as well. But Emacs knows how to use
> them, so I just use C-c C-d to navigate the cross-references.

I can see that I need to re-acquaint myself with
Gnu emacs. ;-)

Warren
From: Stephen Leake on
Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I can see that I need to re-acquaint myself with
> Gnu emacs. ;-)

one down, five billion to go :)

--
-- Stephe