From: "Bob McConnell" on
I have been asked by a product manager what our options are for
encrypting email messages with sensitive information. We are currently
using PHPMailer to send email. What can be done to encrypt those
messages? Can it be done without OOP?

Server configuration:
RHEL 5
Apache 2.0
PHP 5.2.3
PHPMailer 1.73

Thank you,

Bob McConnell
From: Per Jessen on
Bob McConnell wrote:

> I have been asked by a product manager what our options are for
> encrypting email messages with sensitive information. We are currentl=
> using PHPMailer to send email. What can be done to encrypt those
> messages? Can it be done without OOP?
>=20

Yes, that's no problem. Look up "openssl smime -encrypt"

/Per

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (19.8=C2=B0C)

From: tedd on
At 8:39 AM -0400 4/21/09, Bob McConnell wrote:
>I have been asked by a product manager what our options are for
>encrypting email messages with sensitive information. We are currently
>using PHPMailer to send email. What can be done to encrypt those
>messages? Can it be done without OOP?
>
>Server configuration:
> RHEL 5
> Apache 2.0
> PHP 5.2.3
> PHPMailer 1.73
>
>Thank you,

From within a php script, it's not a problem to encrypt a text string
and send it as email. The sending of the email and the encrypting the
contents are two different issues. You may want to look at it that
way.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com http://ancientstones.com http://earthstones.com
From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: tedd
> At 8:39 AM -0400 4/21/09, Bob McConnell wrote:
>>I have been asked by a product manager what our options are for
>>encrypting email messages with sensitive information. We are currently
>>using PHPMailer to send email. What can be done to encrypt those
>>messages? Can it be done without OOP?
>
> From within a php script, it's not a problem to encrypt a text string

> and send it as email. The sending of the email and the encrypting the
> contents are two different issues. You may want to look at it that
> way.

But can it be done so the recipient's email client will automatically
open and decrypt the message? How do you make it as seamless as possible
for them, preferably so they don't even realize the message was
encrypted?

Bob McConnell
From: tedd on
At 9:49 AM -0400 4/21/09, Bob McConnell wrote:
>From: tedd
>> At 8:39 AM -0400 4/21/09, Bob McConnell wrote:
>>>I have been asked by a product manager what our options are for
>>>encrypting email messages with sensitive information. We are currently
>>>using PHPMailer to send email. What can be done to encrypt those
>>>messages? Can it be done without OOP?
>>
>> From within a php script, it's not a problem to encrypt a text string
>
>> and send it as email. The sending of the email and the encrypting the
>> contents are two different issues. You may want to look at it that
>> way.
>
>But can it be done so the recipient's email client will automatically
>open and decrypt the message? How do you make it as seamless as possible
>for them, preferably so they don't even realize the message was
>encrypted?
>
>Bob McConnell

Bob:

At some point both parties (sender/receiver) must know (agree) what
the encrypting mechanism is.

If I was writing a script to do this for a client, I must have
control over both the send and receive scripts and then I could
deliver the email to the client seamlessly. They would never know
what happened in the background.

However, if your client wants to send stuff to anyone and have it
encrypted without knowing who the receiver is going to be, then there
is no way to do this. Both the sender and receiver must agree on the
encrypting mechanism either by providing passwords OR by you having
access to both the sending and receiving scripts. As I see it, there
is no other way.

Cheers,

tedd

--