From: catalinfest on
Dear friends .

I have two simple questions:
It is possible to encrypt with md5 python source code?
What option do I have to protect my python source code?

Thank you .
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <91541c26-6f18-40c7-
a0df-252a52bb7cd5(a)l25g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, catalinfest(a)gmail.com
wrote:

> It is possible to encrypt with md5 python source code?

Don't use MD5.

> What option do I have to protect my python source code?

Copyright.
From: Irmen de Jong on
On 28-3-2010 12:08, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<91541c26-6f18-40c7-
> a0df-252a52bb7cd5(a)l25g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, catalinfest(a)gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>> It is possible to encrypt with md5 python source code?
>
> Don't use MD5.

Also, md5 is not an encryption algorithm at all, it is a secure hashing function.
(well, not so secure anymore nowadays, which probably is why Lawrence already wrote to
avoid using it).

irmen
From: catalinfest on
I had a talk about Python and distribution of commercial products
created with python. This made me think of a way to protect my source
code to be distributed. I thought a live CD version and then to an
encryption method of a portion of source code. These thoughts are the
source of two questions.
From: Steve Holden on
catalinfest(a)gmail.com wrote:
> I had a talk about Python and distribution of commercial products
> created with python. This made me think of a way to protect my source
> code to be distributed. I thought a live CD version and then to an
> encryption method of a portion of source code. These thoughts are the
> source of two questions.

I'd suggest that you don't think about encrypting your source code until
you have a rather better handle on encryption technology. Your mention
of MD5, a hashing rather than an encryption algorithm, makes it clear
that you aren't familiar with the technologies at present.

There's nothing wrong with ignorance (I have a more than adequate supply
of my own), but in encryption it's *very* easy to make mistakes that
render whole systems vulnerable to trivial attack. So you do really need
to know what you are doing.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010 http://pycon.blip.tv/