From: Tom St Denis on
On Mar 8, 9:18 am, Noob <r...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Tom St Denis wrote:
> > True, keep in mind ATMEL did design a 32-bit AVR core as well.  It's
> > very similar in IA to ARM
>
> What's IA?  Did you mean ISA?

whichever, instruction set. Point is just because he said gcc-avr
doesn't mean it's the 8-bitter. Probably is, but can't tell.

Tom
From: Phil Carmody on
henno <hennobrandsma(a)gmail.com.invalid> writes:
> Tom St Denis wrote:
>> On Mar 7, 6:40 am, Nomen Nescio <nob...(a)dizum.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.das-labor.org/wiki/AVR-Crypto-Lib/en
>>>
>>> I was stunned to see that the ASM (assembler) implementation of AES is
>>> more than ten times (!) as fast as the C implementation. I'd have
>>> thought that compiler technology had narrowed the difference to maybe
>>> 10-20%. The compiler is probably GCC-AVR, which isn't as advanced as
>>> say, the Microsoft compilers, but the difference is remarkable.
>>
>> Say what? GCC on x86 *is* more advanced than MSVC by a long shot.
>> Most lilkely though GCC for AVR isn't 100%. Just like GCC for ARM is
>> not as good as ARM's own compiler.
>>
>> It's not uncommon to see assembler based AES 2-3 times faster than C.
>> It shouldn't be 10x though...
>
> It could be if you used the new AES instructions in x64 chipset introduced in
> the i5 and i7 proecessors.

For about a week until someone patches the compiler to include
a new intrinsic and use the new instruction.

Phil
--
I find the easiest thing to do is to k/f myself and just troll away
-- David Melville on r.a.s.f1