From: turtoni on
No more Bret Cahill being pushed too far; spreeing up usenet, day in
and day out!
From: pimpom on
Bret Cahill wrote:

> Just adopt words from outside science or technology.
>
> When Nietzsche predicted the wars of the 20th Century he asked
> permission to lift terms:
>
> ". . . . the very next century when Russia, if I may borrow a
> term
> from our physicists, will 'discharge' herself . . ."
>
> He didn't make it a permanent part of his language. In fact he
> never
> used that term again in any of his work.

"Discharge" is a term exclusive to physics? What about being
discharged from military service, discharge of fluid from an
infected site, etc.? I'd think the term is a general one meaning
release from confinement.

From: Rich Grise on
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:55:03 +0530, pimpom wrote:
> Bret Cahill wrote:
>>
>> Just adopt words from outside science or technology.
>>
>> When Nietzsche predicted the wars of the 20th Century he asked
>> permission to lift terms:
>>
>> ". . . . the very next century when Russia, if I may borrow a
>> term
>> from our physicists, will 'discharge' herself . . ."
>>
>> He didn't make it a permanent part of his language. In fact he
>> never
>> used that term again in any of his work.
>>
> "Discharge" is a term exclusive to physics? What about being
> discharged from military service, discharge of fluid from an
> infected site, etc.? I'd think the term is a general one meaning
> release from confinement.

I think we should "discharge" Bret Cahill from s.e.b. ;-)

Thanks,
Rich

From: krw on
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:28:14 -0800, Rich Grise <richgrise(a)example.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:55:03 +0530, pimpom wrote:
>> Bret Cahill wrote:
>>>
>>> Just adopt words from outside science or technology.
>>>
>>> When Nietzsche predicted the wars of the 20th Century he asked
>>> permission to lift terms:
>>>
>>> ". . . . the very next century when Russia, if I may borrow a
>>> term
>>> from our physicists, will 'discharge' herself . . ."
>>>
>>> He didn't make it a permanent part of his language. In fact he
>>> never
>>> used that term again in any of his work.
>>>
>> "Discharge" is a term exclusive to physics? What about being
>> discharged from military service, discharge of fluid from an
>> infected site, etc.? I'd think the term is a general one meaning
>> release from confinement.
>
>I think we should "discharge" Bret Cahill from s.e.b. ;-)

It would take a hell of a shot, but you could discharge a gun into
Cahill's head.
From: Bret Cahill on

> >> "Discharge" is a term exclusive to physics? What about being
> >> discharged from military service, discharge of fluid from an
> >> infected site, etc.? I'd think the term is a general one meaning
> >> release from confinement.
>
> >I think we should "discharge" Bret Cahill from s.e.b. ;-)
>
> It would take a hell of a shot, but you could discharge a gun into
> Cahill's head.

Try not to spree but if you must spree, try to spree local. Just
shoot up the trailer park.

Bret Cahill