From: Mike S on
On 6/9/2010 4:43 AM, Jason Keats wrote:
> Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
>> Jason Keats<jkeats(a)melbpcDeleteThis.org.au> wrote:
>>
>>> I've used the following for SHA1:
>>> http://vb.wikia.com/wiki/SHA-1.bas
>>>
>>> It seems to be faster than the CRC32 implementation you're using, is
>>> less likely to produce duplicate values (if that's important) and it's
>>> certainly more secure (only important if you're going to use it with
>>> passwords, etc.).
>>
>> Ah, interesting. I'll do some timing tests. I've got a 300 Mb Access
>> file which would be suitable for such.<smile>
>>
>> The concern is about unspecified and unknown oddities happening
>> between the file server and the client PC when copying down files.
>> Which is the primary purpose of my utility. These oddities should
>> never happen. Of course.<smile> If the file server, network, and
>> client PC are working just fine. And they probably will 99.99999% of
>> the time.
>>
>> Tony
>
> For the record, the SHA1 function I mentioned is not faster than CRC32.
> But you knew that already, right?
>
> CRC32 is about 10x faster. I made a mistake in my testing - hashing the
> file name, rather than the file!

Have you done any speed testing? I found this, unfortunately it only
tests a few encryption algorithms:

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~jain/cse567-06/ftp/encryption_perf/index.html

Performance Analysis of Data Encryption Algorithms

Algorithm Megabytes(2^20 bytes) Processed Time Taken MB/Second
Blowfish 256 3.976 64.386
Rijndael (128-bit key) 256 4.196 61.010
Rijndael (192-bit key) 256 4.817 53.145
Rijndael (256-bit key) 256 5.308 48.229
Rijndael (128) CTR 256 4.436 57.710
Rijndael (128) OFB 256 4.837 52.925
Rijndael (128) CFB 256 5.378 47.601
Rijndael (128) CBC 256 4.617 55.447
DES 128 5.998 21.340
(3DES)DES-XEX3 128 6.159 20.783
(3DES)DES-EDE3 64 6.499 9.848
From: Jason Keats on
Mike S wrote:

> Have you done any speed testing? I found this, unfortunately it only
> tests a few encryption algorithms:
>
> http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~jain/cse567-06/ftp/encryption_perf/index.html
>
> Performance Analysis of Data Encryption Algorithms

Yes, I have done a little. We were discussing hashing algorithms, but
I've also looked at a few encryption algorithms.

If I need it, I use Blowfish - but it's a lot slower than XOR. ;-)

Why?
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Re basic to vb