From: slate_leeper on
Every time I run Eraser, as it finishes and says it is erasing
temporary files, Avira's antivirus product shows one or two trojans:

C:\~ERAFSWD.TMP\actxprxy.dll, is the TR/Dropper.Gen Trojan
C:\~ERAFSWD.TMP\mspmsnsv.dll, is the TR/Dropper.Gen Trojan

Does anyone know if these are false positives, or actually something
to worry about? I always instruct Avira to deny access.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.
From: Buffalo on

slate_leeper wrote:
> Every time I run Eraser, as it finishes and says it is erasing
> temporary files, Avira's antivirus product shows one or two trojans:
>
> C:\~ERAFSWD.TMP\actxprxy.dll, is the TR/Dropper.Gen Trojan
> C:\~ERAFSWD.TMP\mspmsnsv.dll, is the TR/Dropper.Gen Trojan
>
> Does anyone know if these are false positives, or actually something
> to worry about? I always instruct Avira to deny access.

Probably a false positive, as Avira finds a lot of them.

Send the two files to VirusTotal.com and see what that site finds.
When you go to the virustotal web page, you can just upload the file while
on the site.
First do a search for their location (probably just need the file name
after the \ .

Or do a scan online from another antivirus vender.

Buffalo

From: Buffalo on

slate_leeper wrote:
> Every time I run Eraser, as it finishes and says it is erasing
> temporary files, Avira's antivirus product shows one or two trojans:
>
> C:\~ERAFSWD.TMP\actxprxy.dll, is the TR/Dropper.Gen Trojan
> C:\~ERAFSWD.TMP\mspmsnsv.dll, is the TR/Dropper.Gen Trojan
>
> Does anyone know if these are false positives, or actually something
> to worry about? I always instruct Avira to deny access.

mspmsnsv.dll and actxprxy.dll may possibly be bad.
Check out this site also.
Still, locate the above two files and send them to VirusTotal.com for a
free scan by many different antivirus programs.

http://www.superantispyware.com/malwarefiles/MSPMSNSV.DLL.html

SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) is available in a free version and is an excellent
program.
Same with MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM).

Buffalo

From: Elmer Fudd on
Buffalo wrote:

> Probably a false positive, as Avira finds a lot of them.

Yea, the one really bad thing about Avira. It is frequently identifying
harmless game files as virii. Right now it is identifying Tages copy
protection in one of my game folders as a trojan that isn't.
From: Elmer Fudd on
FredW wrote:

> Yes, false positives.
> They appear, depending on which version of Heidi Eraser you use.
>
> You could try an older version.

I use eraser portable from portableapps.com and Avira has never detected
it as a trojan.