From: dheller02 on
Running Windows 7. Unable to install 5 updates:

Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB982308)
Security Update for Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007 (KB979441)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB982135)
Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB982312)

Each I time get error 00000646 that updates failed. Tried manual update as
mentioned in other notes and get error that update is already installed. Yet,
still appears as a critical update on windows updates. Appreciate any help -
thanks.

From: Ǝиçεl on
See if temporarily disabling UAC allows the updates to install.

try disabling User Account Control first before downloading the update
manually. See: (Guided Help: Adjust User Account Control settings in Windows
7):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975787/en-us>

install the updates, reenable UAC.

or just disconnect from the internet and try to install the updates. You
might have to reboot first.

Otherwise...

See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982158>

(1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB982158).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527>

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:
https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/>

your usual support contacts.