From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message news:etHJHLy1KHA.752(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
:
: It would be kinder to clarify that suggestion:
:
: Microsoft would like people to switch to their
: unusable, web-based muck because they can
: moderate it and turn it into a marketing device.
: But the news (usenet) sites are still available
: for use by anyone with any sense.
:
: Woops. I mean they're available for anyone who
: has difficulty discovering an optimized help
: experience at social.msdn.microsoft.com. :)

You left out the part that Paul only gets post counts towards the mvp quota on the web based forum, so naturally he wants credit for his time and effort. Otherwise the usenet .nxt forums are worthless, evident by the lack of mvp participation there. Ah, if only it were truly about helping others instead fo status and stipends. <g>
From: Mayayana on
> You left out the part that Paul only gets post counts
> towards the mvp quota on the web based forum,

Really? I wasn't aware of that. The site is very
cute, though, so I can see how he might like it.
One gets to pick an ID image, one can vote about
.....something or other.... and apparently one
can win gold medals. All of the MVPs seems to
have 5 gold medals each. Even Cor! Or maybe Cor
got his medals because he held a hill against the
Germans in WW2. It's hard to tell. I don't see
any explanation about the medals.

Unfortunately, though, in addition to being a
very poor layout compared to usenet, one has to
get a "Live ID" (the mark of the Beast?) in order
to take part. That's rather creepy.

From: C. Kevin Provance on

: Unfortunately, though, in addition to being a
: very poor layout compared to usenet, one has to
: get a "Live ID" (the mark of the Beast?) in order
: to take part. That's rather creepy.

Windows Mail w/Vista has those "vote" options tied into Usenet...at least on the msnews server. LiveID also required. I didn't bother. <g>
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Paul Clement wrote:
> Not sure where you have seen the marketing stuff.

No corporate logos? This I gotta see!

Hmmmm, nope... Marketing fail!

http://i2.social.microsoft.com/Forums/GlobalResources/Images/bing.png

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/GlobalResources/images/Msdn/networklogo_Msdn.png

> They support it just as
> they did the NNTP newsgroups,

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, either.

> Certainly don't mind the moderation. The pointless flame wars and
> backbiting are minimal to non-existent.

I imagine you'd prefer that, yeah. Another fail.

> Unusable? Why do some find web forums so challenging? ;-)

One word: statefulness.

Btw, who's "Paul P Clement IV", your boy?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Norm on

"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote in message

> : Unfortunately, though, in addition to being a
> : very poor layout compared to usenet, one has to
> : get a "Live ID" (the mark of the Beast?) in order
> : to take part. That's rather creepy.
>
> Windows Mail w/Vista has those "vote" options tied into Usenet...at least
> on the msnews server. LiveID also required. I didn't bother. <g>

I like how they say it if for VB questions not asked in other newsgroups and
then a little later they say it is not for VB6. I guess VB6 is not VB!!!

Norm