From: An Actual Actuary An Actual on
Since May 15th my automatic Windows update (using Vista) has stopped working.
I keep getting the error code 80070005.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
From: Ǝиçεl on
80070005 is an Access Denied; Permissions issue.

Look to the installed security software as being the cause.

Temporarily disable any third-party real-time system protections (e.g.,
(antivirus/security suite/ 3rd party firewall/ popup/ script/ anti-spyware/
or cookie blocker/ or, any security software that monitors the registry keys
for changes)

Try resetting the security settings back to the defaults:
NO APPLY TO WINDOWS 7
How to reset security settings back to the defaults NO APPLY TO WINDOWS 7
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222>

Make sure you're running as an administrator.

Please let us know what fixes the problem or if the pяoblem remains

Ǝиçəl
-=-

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Yes: Dis-infect your computer or format the HDD & do a clean install of
Windows.

From: Alexandre Figueiredo Alexandre on
Thanks! Worked for me.
I disabled McAffee and updated in seconds.

Regards.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Original thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/731b0a95768b72af/e1d0491dd9ee2a53

If "disabling McAffee" resolve the problem, you've got bigger problems on
your hands.