From: BCVolkert on
This worked for me.

I have Office 2003, not 2007. Microsoft Update wanted to install KB972581
but it would always fail.

As suggested, I ran the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack
(FileFormatConverters.exe) installation and it failed as predicted. Without
rebooting, I ran the Office Installer Cleanup Tool and removed the Office
2007 Compatibility Pack. Without rebooting, I ran the Update from the shield
in the system tray and it installed.

PERFECT ! ! !

I'm using XP Pro SP3, Office 2003 SP3