From: Brian H on
Was this ever resolved? I am having the same problem.
The event viewer only contains very generic failure information on the
subject of adding the role.
In the setup log it lists Event 1616 ServerManager
Installation Failed
Network Policy and Access Services
Error: Attempt to install Network Policy Server failed with error code
0x80070643. Fatal error....

This is a very generic fatal error code. So I looked in ServerManager.log
and it also shows very little detail. Only on the last lines does it notice
the failure but gives no other information.

So I dig deeper into the CBS.log file and discover that right before the
installation process reverses and begins uninstalling itself, there is a
failure to start the NPS service.

The relevant CBS log line is:
"Attempting to start service {IAS} synchronously" then
"Service did not run. Current state (3) Exit code (-2147467259) Service
specific exit code (0) Check point (1) Wait hint (300000) "

further down in the cbs.log is the data regarding how it was trying to start.
<serviceData xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" name="IAS"
displayName="@%SystemRoot%\system32\ias.dll,-1000" errorControl="normal"
imagePath="%SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs" start="delayedAuto"
type="win32ShareProcess" description="@%SystemRoot%\system32\ias.dll,-1001"
dependOnService="RPCSS" objectName="LocalSystem"
startAfterInstall="synchronous"
requiredPrivileges="SeTcbPrivilege,SeChangeNotifyPrivilege,SeCreateGlobalPrivilege,SeImpersonatePrivilege,seAuditPrivilege">

<securityDescriptor name="WRP_REGKEY_IAS_NETWORK_SERVICE_START" />

Then it begins a complete rollback after the failure to start the service.
Not very much debugging info to go on. Obviously, it depends on RPCSS but
this service is already started and running.

Any Ideas?>
-Brian H

From: Meinolf Weber on
Hello Brian,

Did you saw this one before, is your server DC:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNAP/thread/a987cf99-7f7c-4bbc-b8fd-e262a61db1f9/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservermanager/thread/ae1a7f09-2f50-4521-9bae-283631963283/#

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: Brian H on
Meinolf, thank you for following this.

The server in question is SBS 2008, so it therefore a 64-bit AD DC, forest
root, etc.

I had seen the first one of the links you sent that suggests reinstalling
AD, DS, then NPS, but unforetunately, the server is already in production and
I don't want to loose everything that reinstalling those might loose.

I am actually trying to fix these becuase they were glitches in the original
SBS install. First, sharepoint was not 100% so had to reinstall that (which
naturally disconnected all related permissions) and I think the NPS services
stopped starting only a short time after original install (perhaps caused by
an update). But NPS is needed for TS Gateway, so RWW has not been working for
a long time.

I appreciate the help!
-Brian

From: Victor Kam on
Brian,

Just thought I would share that you're not alone. I'm seeing the same exact
issues, both with the Sharepoint errors after an SBS2008 install, and the
issue with NAP after uninstalling and reinstalling Sharepoint. Currently,
I'm in the same boat as you, with NAP not able to start, which is affecting
the TS Gateway.

Victor