Prev: Samsung ML-1610
Next: PAM
From: CL on
Hi,
Recently this message display during execution of my script. What does it
mean? & how can I solve it? Thank you in advance.

/root/bin/backup.sh: line 16: 20213 File size limit exceededcp ~backup/`date
+%Y%m%d`/* /mnt/myserver/`date +%Y%m%d` >/dev/null

--
CL

From: Grant on
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 08:26:05 +0800, "CL" <cl(a)screamx.com> wrote:

>Recently this message display during execution of my script.

Sorry, my crystal ball broke, dunno what this script of yours
does, try over in comp.unix.shell, before you do that though,
search for ESR's article on how to ask a question.

Grant.
--
Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't make eight cats pull
a sled through the snow.
From: richard on
CL wrote:

> Hi,
> Recently this message display during execution of my script. What does it
> mean? & how can I solve it? Thank you in advance.
>
> /root/bin/backup.sh: line 16: 20213 File size limit exceededcp
> ~backup/`date +%Y%m%d`/* /mnt/myserver/`date +%Y%m%d` >/dev/null

What version of Slackware are you using? (10.2)
What shell is this script using? (BASH, TCSH)
What type are the filesystems that data is being copied from and to? (EXT2,
REISERFS)

Does googling "File size limit exceeded cp" bring you any clues?

Richard :)
From: Loki Harfagr on
Le Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:26:05 +0800, CL a ?crit?:

> Hi,
> Recently this message display during execution of my script. What does it
> mean? & how can I solve it? Thank you in advance.

Means that the target's filesys has limits on maximal size for a file
and you happened to reach it.
Filesys have limits on sizes for file and system, some are a bit
small, are you trying and backup a big disk onto a VFAT partition ?-)

> /root/bin/backup.sh: line 16: 20213 File size limit exceededcp ~backup/`date
> +%Y%m%d`/* /mnt/myserver/`date +%Y%m%d` >/dev/null

Maybe, tryoing the script again and not throwing the 1> messages would
at least tell you on which file it happened, though if you have only
one *big* file you know it, these are *your* files, and from here I can't
see your tree :D)
From: CL on
Loki Harfagr wrote:
> Le Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:26:05 +0800, CL a ?crit :
>
>> Hi,
>> Recently this message display during execution of my script. What does it
>> mean? & how can I solve it? Thank you in advance.
>>

> Means that the target's filesys has limits on maximal size for a file
> and you happened to reach it.
> Filesys have limits on sizes for file and system, some are a bit
> small, are you trying and backup a big disk onto a VFAT partition ?-)
>
>> /root/bin/backup.sh: line 16: 20213 File size limit exceededcp ~backup/`date
>> +%Y%m%d`/* /mnt/myserver/`date +%Y%m%d` >/dev/null
>
> Maybe, tryoing the script again and not throwing the 1> messages would
> at least tell you on which file it happened, though if you have only
> one *big* file you know it, these are *your* files, and from here I can't
> see your tree :D)

Thank Loki. I think this is the situation. But if I remember correctly,
it is NTFS. Have to check first. Thank for helping instead of acting up
just because you are trying to help.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Samsung ML-1610