From: Stephen Leake on
Simon Wright <simon(a)pushface.org> writes:

> resander <kresander(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 'Could not locate executable on path: gprbuild'
>>
>> I have ticked the checkbox for language C in the
>> Languages tab in 'Edit Project Properties on the
>> Project menu.
>>
>> I am guessing that 'executable' refers to gcc.
>
> No, it refers to gprbuild!
>
>> I did a search on gcc and found these:
>>
>> /usr/bin/gcc -- linked to
>> /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
>>
>> /usr/bin/gnatgcc -- linked to
>> /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
>>
>> /home/ken/AdaGPL/gnat-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin/bin/gcc
>>
>> I also searched on gprbuild and found it is available in
>>
>> /home/ken/AdaGPL/gnat-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin/bin
>>
>> How do I make GPS compile C files?
>
> Make a link to it,
>
> $ sudo ln -s \
> /home/ken/AdaGPL/gnat-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin/bin/gprbuild \
> /usr/bin

As resander discovered, this is not the right solution. There are other
executables and files that gprbuild needs, and it uses the path to the
invoked executable to find them.

You need to put
/home/ken/AdaGPL/gnat-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin/bin in your PATH,
so gprbuild is invoked with the right path, and can find these other files.

The best way to do all of this is to use the Debian testing
distribution, as Ludovic says.

--
-- Stephe
From: resander on
On Apr 25, 1:42 pm, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...(a)stephe-leake.org>
wrote:
> Simon Wright <si...(a)pushface.org> writes:
> > resander <kresan...(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> 'Could not locate executable on path: gprbuild'
>
> >> I have ticked the checkbox for language C in the
> >> Languages tab in 'Edit Project Properties on the
> >> Project menu.
>
> >> I am guessing that 'executable' refers to gcc.
>
> > No, it refers to gprbuild!
>
> >> I did a search on gcc and found these:
>
> >>   /usr/bin/gcc    -- linked to
> >>   /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
>
> >>   /usr/bin/gnatgcc    -- linked to
> >>   /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
>
> >>   /home/ken/AdaGPL/gnat-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin/bin/gcc
>
> >> I also searched on gprbuild and found it is available in
>
> >>  /home/ken/AdaGPL/gnat-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin/bin
>
> >> How do I make GPS compile C files?
>
> > Make a link to it,
>
> > $ sudo ln -s \
> >  /home/ken/AdaGPL/gnat-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin/bin/gprbuild \
> >  /usr/bin
>
> As resander discovered, this is not the right solution. There are other
> executables and files that gprbuild needs, and it uses the path to the
> invoked executable to find them.
>
> You need to put
> /home/ken/AdaGPL/gnat-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin/bin in your PATH,
> so gprbuild is invoked with the right path, and can find these other files.
>
> The best way to do all of this is to use the Debian testing
> distribution, as Ludovic says.
>
> --
> -- Stephe

Thanks Stephen,

I added to the PATH as you suggested, but it is still not working.

How do I get the Debian testing distribution onto my Ubuntu 8.04?

From: Simon Wright on
Stephen Leake <stephen_leake(a)stephe-leake.org> writes:

> You need to put
> /home/ken/AdaGPL/gnat-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin/bin in your
> PATH, so gprbuild is invoked with the right path, and can find these
> other files.

This doesn't sound like the way it _should_ be installed. Something must
have gone wrong with OP's installation.

I have an 8.04 Ubuntu running in a VMWare Fusion VM, and it has GNAT GPL
2008 installed at /opt/gnat-gpl-2008 (I find it handy to keep several
compilers available), and the contents of the bin/ directory are

addr2line cbrowser cpp dbimp gcc gccbug gcov gdb gnat gnatbind
gnatcheck gnatchop gnatclean gnatelim gnatfind gnathtml.pl gnatkr
gnatlink gnatls gnatmake gnatmem gnatmetric gnatname gnatpp gnatprep
gnatstub gnatxref gprbuild gprbuild_debug gprclean gprclean_debug
gprconfig gprconfig_debug gprmake gprof gps gps_exe
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.1.3 objdump

I'm a bit suspicious about the OP's file locations in
general. /home/ken/AdaGPL/gnat-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin is the
place where the binary distribution would unpack to; whenever I've done
installs (which I do as root) it asks me where I want it to install
(default /usr/local, I think, but as I said above I don't use that) and
copies all the files it needs to to that location. You can delete the
distribution directory completely after the install.
From: Ludovic Brenta on
resander <kresander(a)gmail.com> writes:
> I am on Ubuntu 8.10 and have not used any other Linux.
>
> I agree this is an installation problem, but I still don't know how to
> fix it.
>
> I downloaded GNAT GPL 2009 from Libre. I unpacked using the GUI
> decompress program available from the Ubuntu menu and it ended up in
> directory /home/ken/Desktop/gnat-2009-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin. I
> used the doinstall script in this directory and gave the install base
> direcory as /usr/gnat as suggested. Installation ran to completion
> without errors and I added /usr/gnat/bin to the $PATH as the doinstall
> script prompted me to do.
>
> Result: I could enter the new GPS program, but it failed compiling Ada
> and C with errors shown in my previous post.
>
> I guess this has something to do with grpbuild. There is a gprbuild in
> the old GNAT GPL 2008 install directory, but there are no gpr-related
> files in the new install directory at /usr/gnat.

It seems you did not download all of GNAT GPL 2009, then. You should
have gprbuild as part of it.

> GNAT GPL 2008 is available via the Ubuntu Synaptic Package Manager

No, it is not.

What you see in Synaptic are the Debian packages that I made; they are
not GNAT GPL but rather GNAT from the FSF.

> (a GUI front end for the commandline package manager) I used
> Synaptic. No luck, still the same. I tried the commandline too by sudo
> aptitude install gnat gnat-gps gprbuild and got message 'Couldn't find
> any package whose name or description matched "gprbuild', so gprbuild
> is not available via the repository used by ubuntu.

gprbuild is indeed not present in Ubuntu 8.10; it appeared in Debian
unstable in January 2010 and migrated to Debian testing on 2010-04-14.
I do not know what the Ubuntu maintainers plan but chances are that
gprbuild will be present in the next release of Ubuntu (presumably 10.04
or 10.10).

So what you end up with is a partial install of GNAT GPL 2009 in
/usr/gnat, lacking gprbuild, and an installation of a few Debian
packages in /usr/bin; you should double-check your $PATH to make sure
which version of the IDE (GPS) and compiler (gcc) you use.

> How do I install GNAT GPL 2009 on Ubuntu?

I think you only need to add gprbuild to your machine, now. It is
available from libre.adacore.com and from Debian testing, but not from
Ubuntu 8.10.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Ludovic Brenta on
resander <kresander(a)gmail.com> writes:
> How do I get the Debian testing distribution onto my Ubuntu 8.04?

Someone else asked the same question on this newsgroup a couple of
months ago; I saved my answer for future reference here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-ada/2010/02/msg00003.html

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.