From: Paul.Boca on
(Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this announcement)

BCS-FACS Evening Seminar Series
joint event with the Safety Critical Systems Club

Interdependencies and Resilient Infrastructure

Professor Robin Bloomfield
(CSR City University, London and Adelard)

5.45pm

======================================
NOTE: SEMINAR IS NOT HELD AT BCS LONDON

Room B36
Birkbeck College
Main Building
Malet Street
London WC1E 7HX

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/maps/centrallondon.pdf

NOTE: SEMINAR IS NOT HELD AT BCS LONDON
======================================

Interdependencies are central to delivering resilience and also a
potential source of vulnerability and risk. This talk will examine the
challenges posed by the need to understand and evaluate the
resilience of infrastructures.

The talk will draw on a study on interdependencies for the TSB,
CPNI and EPSRC in which we consulted a wider range of Critical
National Infrastructure stakeholders and reviewed research specific
to modelling, analyzing and understanding dependencies. The study
identified the state-of-the-art and the government and industry
requirements for tools and services. It concluded with a strategy
aiming to bridge the gaps between the capabilities and requirements,
where this was identified as currently feasible.

CSR was also a partner in the EU IRRIIS project and we have been
building and experimenting with a range of models based on
deterministic service models and stochastic activity nets. I will
summarise some of the lessons from developing a model of central
Rome’s power and telecommunications infrastructures and, in the
light of the policy and strategy context, discuss the importance of
intangible ‘soft’ infrastructures and the potential contribution from
the safety and computer science communities in the interdisciplinary
challenges.

Refreshments will be served from 5.15pm in Room B04
(Birkbeck College)

The seminar is free of charge and open to everyone. If you would like
to attend, please email Paul Boca [Paul.Boca(a)googlemail.com] by

BCS-FACS Website: http://www.bcs-facs.org

Location of venue: http://www.bbk.ac.uk/maps/centrallondon.pdf