From: senn on
Is there any api that can set the decimal separator to
point in the current running program/or thread - not the system setting.
I don't think so. The imposter has a declaration to it. This should
be placed in the Procedure/or Function to be effective. But vb6 ?
Any circumvention?.
/se

From: Helmut Meukel on
"senn" <senn(a)homeplace&.fix> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Is there any api that can set the decimal separator to
> point in the current running program/or thread - not the system setting.
> I don't think so. The imposter has a declaration to it. This should
> be placed in the Procedure/or Function to be effective. But vb6 ? Any
> circumvention?. /se

Hmm,

why?
Isn't this why M$ created locale aware functions like CDbl to convert
text values correctly to floatingpoint numbers?
If you need to read values from text files with a decimal point in a
locale with the comma as decimal separator, you can always use the
old Val("textvalue with decimal point").

But I would consider an app, that insists the user has to enter floatingpoint
values with an point while the local setting is a comma, as a gross violation
of usability standards. On my keayboard I would be handicapped in using
the numeric keypad, because due to my locale the decimal separator
generated there is the comma.

Helmut.

From: GS on
Helmut Meukel wrote on 6/22/2010 :
> "senn" <senn(a)homeplace&.fix> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Is there any api that can set the decimal separator to
>> point in the current running program/or thread - not the system setting.
>> I don't think so. The imposter has a declaration to it. This should
>> be placed in the Procedure/or Function to be effective. But vb6 ? Any
>> circumvention?. /se
>>

> Hmm,
>
> why?
> Isn't this why M$ created locale aware functions like CDbl to convert
> text values correctly to floatingpoint numbers?
> If you need to read values from text files with a decimal point in a
> locale with the comma as decimal separator, you can always use the
> old Val("textvalue with decimal point").
>
> But I would consider an app, that insists the user has to enter floatingpoint
> values with an point while the local setting is a comma, as a gross violation
> of usability standards. On my keayboard I would be handicapped in using
> the numeric keypad, because due to my locale the decimal separator
> generated there is the comma.
>
> Helmut.

And so..., I suppose you just use the period on the normal
keyboard?<Bg>

--
Garry

From: Helmut Meukel on
"GS" <gesansom(a)netscape.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Helmut Meukel wrote on 6/22/2010 :
>> "senn" <senn(a)homeplace&.fix> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Is there any api that can set the decimal separator to
>>> point in the current running program/or thread - not the system setting.
>>> I don't think so. The imposter has a declaration to it. This should
>>> be placed in the Procedure/or Function to be effective. But vb6 ? Any
>>> circumvention?. /se
>>
>> Hmm,
>>
>> why?
>> Isn't this why M$ created locale aware functions like CDbl to convert
>> text values correctly to floatingpoint numbers?
>> If you need to read values from text files with a decimal point in a
>> locale with the comma as decimal separator, you can always use the
>> old Val("textvalue with decimal point").
>>
>> But I would consider an app, that insists the user has to enter floatingpoint
>> values with an point while the local setting is a comma, as a gross violation
>> of usability standards. On my keayboard I would be handicapped in using
>> the numeric keypad, because due to my locale the decimal separator
>> generated there is the comma.
>>
>> Helmut.
>
> And so..., I suppose you just use the period on the normal keyboard?<Bg>

As I said - handicapped - the Software I create is for entering measurements
or other numerical values. If you use the normal keyboard for this it's slower.
And if you use the numerical keypad but must use the period on the normal
keyboard it's also very slow.
My software transforms the keypress of the enter key into a tab, so the user
jumps to the next field in the entry form using the enter key on the numerical
keypad.
In some cases where part numbers, size, or color number can be and often
are the same as in the line before, my users just pess the + key on the
numerical keypad to copy the value one field down in the same column.
This makes data entry really fast. And my customers like it this way.

Helmut.

From: ralph on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:26:01 +0200, "senn" <senn(a)homeplace&.fix>
wrote:

>Is there any api that can set the decimal separator to
>point in the current running program/or thread - not the system setting.
>I don't think so. The imposter has a declaration to it. This should
>be placed in the Procedure/or Function to be effective. But vb6 ?
>Any circumvention?.
>/se

You probably need to supply more information on where and why this is
a particular problem in your domain.

To a 'running' program or within 'code' a *number* is just a number -
there are no decimal separators, plus/minus signs, leading/trailing
placeholders, currency symbols, etc.. These only appear when a number
is formatted for display. So tell us something about how and when you
are desiring a specific format.

-ralph