From: sanchopancho80 on
Hello,

I am searching for an example of a non-recursively enumerable language
whose complement isn't rekursive enumerable, too.

An example for a non-recursively enumerable language whose complement -
>is<- recursively enumerable should be the diagonal language, right?

Thanks,
S.
From: Mitch on
On Jul 11, 2:10 pm, sanchopanch...(a)web.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am searching for an example of a non-recursively enumerable language
> whose complement isn't rekursive enumerable, too.
>
> An example for a non-recursively enumerable language whose complement -
>
> >is<- recursively enumerable should be the diagonal language, right?

Hmm...studying for exams, eh?

The conceptual heuristic to this is to find a hard to decide language
whose complement is even harder, essentially by going up higher in the
arithmetical hierarchy.

The halting problem (<M,w> such that w in L(M) ) is in Sigma_1, and
its complement is non-r.e. and is in Pi_1.

We're looking for a problem in Sigma_2 (a problem that is r.e. when
given a Sigma_1 oracle) and so it's complement will be in Pi_2, which
will also be non-r.e. (non-r.e. = all languages - the r.e. languages
(r.e. languages = Sigma_1)).

I think a good candidate for this would be "M such that L(M) is
total"...without working out the details, that seems to be in Sigma_2
(and not Sigma_1). And its complement (M where L(M) is infinite) must
be in Pi_2.

Thinking about the details though...checking that L(M) is -not- total
is easier (it's easy to have a -single- witness/example w with which
(with Sigma_1 oracle) one can check that L(M) does not halt). So maybe
'total' is in Pi_2, and 'not total' is in Sigma_2. Either way, you got
a pair where both the langauge and its complement are non-r.e. (sorry,
maybe that should be co-r.e.)

There's enough here so that even if I'm wrong in particulars, you can
figure out what's right. Other possibilities include the properties:
empty, finite, infinite, cofinite (the complement is finite (the
complement of an infinite set can still be infinite (e.g. evens/
odds))).

Mitch

From: tchow on
In article <9a0502b4-b722-4771-9646-35f92133ad3e(a)l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
<sanchopancho80(a)web.de> wrote:
>I am searching for an example of a non-recursively enumerable language
>whose complement isn't rekursive enumerable, too.

Any r.e. set that is not recursive qualifies. If a set is both r.e.
and co-r.e., then to decide whether a given x is in the set, just run
both enumerations in parallel until x pops out of one of them.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
From: tchow on
In article <4877bbcc$0$299$b45e6eb0(a)senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>, I wrote:
>In article <9a0502b4-b722-4771-9646-35f92133ad3e(a)l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
> <sanchopancho80(a)web.de> wrote:
>>I am searching for an example of a non-recursively enumerable language
>>whose complement isn't rekursive enumerable, too.
>
>Any r.e. set that is not recursive qualifies.

Whoops! Sorry, I misread your question.
From: sanchopancho80 on
On 11 Jul., 21:58, Mitch <maha...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2:10 pm, sanchopanch...(a)web.de wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I am searching for an example of a non-recursively enumerable language
> > whose complement isn't rekursive enumerable, too.
>
> > An example for a non-recursively enumerable language whose complement -
>
> > >is<- recursively enumerable should be the diagonal language, right?
>
> Hmm...studying for exams, eh?
>
> The conceptual heuristic to this is to find a hard to decide language
> whose complement is even harder, essentially by going up higher in the
> arithmetical hierarchy.
>
> The halting problem (<M,w> such that w in L(M) ) is in Sigma_1, and
> its complement is non-r.e. and is in Pi_1.
>
> We're looking for a problem in Sigma_2 (a problem that is r.e. when
> given a Sigma_1 oracle) and so it's complement will be in Pi_2, which
> will also be non-r.e. (non-r.e. = all languages - the r.e. languages
> (r.e. languages = Sigma_1)).
>
> I think a good candidate for this would be "M such that L(M) is
> total"...without working out the details, that seems to be in Sigma_2
> (and not Sigma_1). And its complement (M where L(M) is infinite) must
> be in Pi_2.
>
> Thinking about the details though...checking that L(M) is -not- total
> is easier (it's easy to have a -single- witness/example w with which
> (with Sigma_1 oracle) one can check that L(M) does not halt). So maybe
> 'total' is in Pi_2, and 'not total' is in Sigma_2. Either way, you got
> a pair where both the langauge and its complement are non-r.e. (sorry,
> maybe that should be co-r.e.)
>
> There's enough here so that even if I'm wrong in particulars, you can
> figure out what's right. Other possibilities include the properties:
> empty, finite, infinite, cofinite (the complement is finite (the
> complement of an infinite set can still be infinite (e.g. evens/
> odds))).
>
> Mitch

Thank you.