From: Lisa Marie Lisa on
Hi,
I currently run many complicated Macros in Excel 2007, using Windows XP
Professional as my operating system.

My laptop finally gave out, and I need to purchase a new one. My question is:
Will my currently Excel 2007 Macros run in Windows 7?
It seems I can no longer purchase a laptop with the downgrade to XP, so I
need to get Windows 7, but I'm concerned my macros will not work.

Thank you
From: Don Guillett on
Shouldn't be a problem

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

From: Lisa Marie on
Thanks!
New laptop will be here on Friday, so let's hope all works well.

From: Kevryl on
Lisa,

Hi, yes in principle they'll run, and probably in practice too.

I'm really hoping you'll report on your experience comparing Office 2007
speed and reliability under XL and Win7, because I have personally had no end
of problems since upgrading from XP/Office 2000 to Win 7/Office 2007. For
example, "saving auto-recover" (which I had actually disabled for all Excel
and insists on resurrecting itself every so-often) is at this moment about
3/4 opf the way through after waiting half an hour. Thats on a pristine
reinstall of Win7 and Office 2007. The white-out/not responding screen is a
regular feature, even after simply selecting a different cell, and I am often
finding when opening a spreadsheet that text boxes have moved around the
screen from their old locations - really annoying as I'm quite fastidious in
the way I visually present input screens. That has something to do, I think,
with my computer turning itself off overnight. I haven't found why it does it
as yet. I have no backup schedule set, and there seems to be no reference to
auto shut-down or turn off in "Help".

I have done quite a bit of reading on other users issues with Win7 and it
seems that - probably the majority of users have a trouble-free experience. I
sincerely hope you are in that camp. However, a large block of user all
experience similar problems to those that I have, and their is no concensus
as yet as to the cause. It just seems that something in Win 7 is very unhappy
with conditions that can be triggered BOTH by certain hardware and software.
For example, some have found that uninstalling AVG antivirus software fixed
their problems. Others find that updating their BIOS fixes it. Still others
only get temporary relief through those actions. One cause with laptops
appears to have been some kind of static build-up, relieveable (strange as is
might seem) by shutting down, removing and replacing the battery.

If you do get to read this message, please do report on your comparisons.

Cheers.

PS: One suggestion is to install a virtual machine, enabling you to run XL
within Win 7. I'm told VMWare does a freebe version, tho I haven't yet
investigated that one.

From: Lisa Marie on
I will certainly report what happens.
I'm hoping I don't have any issues, but will let you know if I do.
New laptop is due to arrive here on 6/2, so I should know by 6/3
if things work.

Still don't understand why Dell no longer offers the XP downgrade.
However, I knew that eventually I would need to upgrade to a newer
OS, so I guess this is the bes time to try it out. If my macros (which go into
databases to access info) don't work, I don't know what I'll do!