From: Joerg on
Hello Folks,

Since mscomm.ocx for some strange reason will pop a license block unless
you also install VB Professional (which most people don't need) I am
looking for other methods to communicate with RS232 from Excel VBA,
other than directly using the API. Lots of Google searching provided
only one alternative, a routine called "cheapcomm". However, none of the
download sites from back then (2004 and earlier) works anymore. Does
someone know a site that still has it?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
From: larwe on
On Sep 19, 6:05 pm, Joerg <notthisjoerg...(a)removethispacbell.net>
wrote:

> only one alternative, a routine called "cheapcomm". However, none of the
> download sites from back then (2004 and earlier) works anymore. Does
> someone know a site that still has it?

warning: a lot of special magic stuff of this kind is totally broken
by modern Office versions. Our helpful IT people installed another
512MB RAM in my office PC a few months ago, and since they were there
anyway they "kindly" installed the latest version of Office. Presto -
everything is broken, starting with my HP oscilloscope communications
software [which was an ActiveX Office plugin] and all the way down to
several custom data capture applets.

Moral: don't necessarily expect that it's going to work even if you
find it.

From: Joerg on
larwe wrote:

> On Sep 19, 6:05 pm, Joerg <notthisjoerg...(a)removethispacbell.net>
> wrote:
>

>>only one alternative, a routine called "cheapcomm". However, none of the
>>download sites from back then (2004 and earlier) works anymore. Does
>>someone know a site that still has it?
>

> warning: a lot of special magic stuff of this kind is totally broken
> by modern Office versions. Our helpful IT people installed another
> 512MB RAM in my office PC a few months ago, and since they were there
> anyway they "kindly" installed the latest version of Office. Presto -
> everything is broken, starting with my HP oscilloscope communications
> software [which was an ActiveX Office plugin] and all the way down to
> several custom data capture applets.
>
> Moral: don't necessarily expect that it's going to work even if you
> find it.

So, do you think it's better to go through the parched lands and
directly via the API then? Mostly it'll be through virtual COM ports
over USB.

MS seems to really start lagging in terms of backward compatibility.
When installing .NET 2.0 the Instek oscilloscope comms would not work.
Installing 1.1 fixed it again.

<shaking head>

From: antedeluvian51 on
mscomm32.ocx is often a headache. The only sure way is to install VB6 (I am
not sure if you need the professional or enterprise editions for the
registration to occur). You can in fact uninstall VB6 immediately
afterwards without ever having used it, and the registration will still
stick. I guess you could do this with a borrowed copy without violating
the copyright.

However there is another alternative described here
http://archive.chipcenter.com/eexpert/rashby/rashby057.html

I have only been told of one case where this did not work, and I am not
certain that it was indeed a problem. Try it and see.

I describe using mscomm directly from Excel in two of the chapters of my
book

Excel by Example: A Microsoft Excel Cookbook for Electronics Engineers
published by Elsevier/Newnes
ISBN-10: 0750677562
ISBN-13: 978-0750677561
and available from most booksellers on the Internet.

-Aubrey Kagan

From: CBFalconer on
antedeluvian51 wrote:

> mscomm32.ocx is often a headache. The only sure way is to install
> VB6 (I am not sure if you need the professional or enterprise
> editions for the registration to occur). You can in fact uninstall
> VB6 immediately afterwards without ever having used it, and the
> registration will still stick. I guess you could do this with a
> borrowed copy without violating the copyright.

I fail to see any reason for anyone to put up with these
shenanigans. Linux is still available, at a reasonable price, with
a reasonable license.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>