From: Ian Robertson on
Thank you all very much for your replies.

I learned about a few new approaches.

I didn't see it come up yet, so I'll post the URL of what I have been using..

php_writeexcel - http://www.bettina-attack.de/jonny/view.php/projects/php_writeexcel/

I've been able to pull off quite a bit with this class and actually have referenced this Perl page for documentation since this PHP class was ported from a Perl class - http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/JMCNAMARA/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-0.37/WriteExcel/doc/WriteExcel.html

So, many thanks for your replies and also thanks to Johann and his 3 Bettinas, wherever you are, haha.

From: Andrew Ballard on
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Ian Robertson
<irobertson(a)americantextile.com> wrote:
> Thank you all very much for your replies.
>
> I learned about a few new approaches.
>
> I didn't see it come up yet, so I'll post the URL of what I have been using.
>
> php_writeexcel - http://www.bettina-attack.de/jonny/view.php/projects/php_writeexcel/
>
> I've been able to pull off quite a bit with this class and actually have referenced this Perl page for documentation since this PHP class was ported from a Perl class - http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/JMCNAMARA/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-0.37/WriteExcel/doc/WriteExcel.html

Another option just occurred to me. You can attach to and read/write
to Excel sheets using an ODBC client. As long as you are building a
sheet/workbook with strictly tabular data, that should allow you to
issue SQL commands. I'm not sure whether you can create an Excel file
from scratch that way, but if not it would be trivial to have an empty
Excel file that you can use as a template.

Andrew