From: Rob on
I need to populate a column in Excel from SQL Server based on data in an
existing Excel column. For example if I have a spreadsheet with employee ID's
in a column I need to go to SQL Server and populate the employee names
associated with the Employee ID's into an adjoining column.

I have found plenty of articles on populating a spreadsheet from SQL Server
but nothing on how to use an existing column as part of the join. I
appreciate any help I can get.

From: FSt1 on
hi
you need to declare your excel column a named range then use the excel file
as a data source in your guery joining the excel table with the SQL table
where emp # = emp #.
i've done this when the excel table was in and external file but not with
the table being in the current file but in theory, it should work.

Regards
FSt1