From: Chet on
I just reinstalled ofc2003 on a win xp system and now for some reason
when I open an excel attachment in outlook my computer opens a second
instance of excel. (I already have excel open before clicking on the
outlook attachment.)

The only slightly different thing I have going on is that I have all
my programs on an solid state drive on C and my data is on a
conventional drive on drive E. Any ideas how to troubleshoot or fix
this? (When this happens I get a message that Excel is already in use
and do i want to cancel to open read-only.).

Thanks,
Chet
From: Chet on
Detect and repair from ofc2003 worked to repair this functionality.
Not sure what caused the problem in case anyone else has the same
problem in the future.