From: Charl de on
Hi

Had same problem but found solution on-line

Check your options. Auto Calc may be switched off

Tools > Options > Calcualtion Tab then click Auto Calc.

Hope this helps

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

So we do both have Excel's that work alike.
06-Feb-10

So we do both have Excel's that work alike. (I agree that SUM(a1,a2)--> 0 and
the =a1+a2 --> 3)

And yet, the OP's does not, apparently. Unless there is something he has
omitted.
--ron

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:17 PM
Martin wrote:

Excel does not calculate my formulas
This is very strange...Excel does not calculate any formula. I can do a
simple =A1+A2, and it just return a zero value.

I made sure of the following:
- Cell is set to General (tried it with different cell settings too)
- Autocalc is on in settings (even a manual F9 calc does not work)

--
Martin Verville

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:29 PM
David Biddulph wrote:

We might need a few more clues:What is in A1? What is in A2?--David Biddulph
We might need a few more clues:
What is in A1? What is in A2?
--
David Biddulph

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:22 PM
Martin wrote:

Does'nt matter A1 can be as simple as 1 and A2 as 2, and it return zeroonstead
Does'nt matter A1 can be as simple as 1 and A2 as 2, and it return zero
onstead of tree.

I have tried with a couple different excel file in the company and i'm at the
same point, always the same problem.

--
Martin Verville

"David Biddulph" wrote:

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:12 PM
Gord Dibben wrote:

Sounds like your numbers are Text.
Sounds like your numbers are Text.

Format to General or Number then copy an empty cell.

Select the range of "numbers" and Edit>Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:53 PM
Martin wrote:

sorry, I forgot to told you that I have tried this too, i'm stuck with
sorry, I forgot to told you that I have tried this too, i'm stuck with my
problem maybe unistall and reinstall Ofiice will set the problem ?
--
Martin Verville

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:06 PM
Jim Thomlinson wrote:

Try this first...Confirm your calculation setting.Create a new workbook.
Try this first...
Confirm your calculation setting.
Create a new workbook.
Add a simple formula to the new book such as the one you have. If it calc's
correctly then it is not XL but a problem in the workbook.

If the cells were previously text and you just reformatted them to number
then the underlying value will still be Text. You need to force XL to convert
them. Gord posted a method to do that.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Martin" wrote:

On Friday, February 05, 2010 6:00 AM
David Biddulph wrote:

And of course if there is any doubt as to whether the contents are
And of course if there is any doubt as to whether the contents are text,
ISNUMBER() and ISTEXT() will give a clue.
--
David Biddulph

On Friday, February 05, 2010 7:03 AM
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

Do the older versions work differently, Gord?
Do the older versions work differently, Gord?

In 2007, if I, with a new workbook
Format Column A as TEXT
A1: 1
A2: 2
B1: =A1+A2
--> 3

The same occurs if I enter '1 and '2 in cells pre-formatted as General.

--ron

On Friday, February 05, 2010 12:30 PM
Gord Dibben wrote:

RonTested in my 2007 with new workbook.
Ron

Tested in my 2007 with new workbook.

Format A1:A2 as Text

A1 1
A2 2

A3 =A1+A2 results in 0

Same for '1 and '2

Gord

wrote:

On Friday, February 05, 2010 8:50 PM
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

Interesting.I just did it again, but this time on a different computer.
Interesting.

I just did it again, but this time on a different computer.

Same results as I posted initially.

Computer 1 is running W7x64; computer 2 is running XP SP3 (32 bit)

XL version on computer 2 is Excel 2007 (12.0.6514.5000) SP2 MSO
(12.0.6425.1000)

I assume the version on my W7 machine is the same, but it is now a few hundred
miles away, so I cannot be sure.

The other interesting phenomenon, that does occur on both machines, is that
AFTER I enter =a1+a2 and see "3" as a result (without the quotes)
the "3" is left justified
the cell is formatted as TEXT
=ISTEXT(B1) --> FALSE
=ISNUMBER(B1) --> TRUE
Selecting B1, then EDIT (F2) and <enter> displays just the formula, as
one would expect in a text formatted cell.

Very weird. But it is occurring on two different machines, two different OS's,
same Excel 2007.

--ron

On Saturday, February 06, 2010 11:05 AM
Gord Dibben wrote:

OK.A1 & A2 formatted as text or preceded by apostrophe.
OK.

A1 & A2 formatted as text or preceded by apostrophe.

In A3 =A1+A2 returns 3

=SUM(A1,A2) returns 0 which it should if A1 and A2 are text.

In both cases =ISNUMBER(A1) and A2 and A3 returns

FALSE, FALSE, TRUE

I give up<g>

Gord

wrote:

On Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:13 PM
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

So we do both have Excel's that work alike.
So we do both have Excel's that work alike. (I agree that SUM(a1,a2)--> 0 and
the =a1+a2 --> 3)

And yet, the OP's does not, apparently. Unless there is something he has
omitted.
--ron

IIS 7.0 Extensionless UrlRewriting (Short urls)
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6592d2d4-bbf4-4ecd-93df-52898c6aa5d7/iis-70-extensionless-url.aspx