From: Matt on
Our environment:
1 x Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server (We're in the migration process.
Sending/Receiving between all servers works properly.)
2 x Exchange 2007 Mailbox Servers (CCR Configuration)
2 x Exchange 2007 Hub Transport / Client Access Servers

Problem:
The Messages Queued for Submission performance monitor on our Active Node is
currently sitting at 21. This seems to have occured just this week, though
it initially started at 7 and has slowly increased. This is reporting on 17
(of 21) messages in our First Storage Group, and 4 (of 21) in our Third
Storage Group. Both storage groups are Mailbox only.

We have 250 mailboxes on this configuration and have not experienced any
mail flow issues. The queue's on the Hub Transports are both fine, there are
no messages stuck in them, and running the troubleshooting assistant
confirms that everything is well.

The only reason I've noticed this issue is because I monitor the server with
Spotlight for Exchange, which evidently is querying the performance counters
for each storage group to obtain that figure.

So I have a few questions...
1. Is there a way to view these 'queued' messages on the Mailbox server? It
obviously doesn't run the Transport service so Queue viewer isn't of any
help.
2. What would cause this to happen? I've found this technet article
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232109.aspx which is similar,
but we definitely do not have a bottleneck and the MS Exchange Mail
Submission service is running. These messages just appear "stuck".

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Matt

From: Paul on
I have also come across this situation and looking for solutions. Where you
able to get any info on this?

From: slusar2433 on
On Nov 28, 4:37 pm, Paul <P...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have also come across this situation and looking for solutions. Where you
> able to get any info on this?
>

> "Matt" wrote:
> > Our environment:
> > 1 xExchange2003 Enterprise Server (We're in the migration process.
> > Sending/Receiving between all servers works properly.)
> > 2 xExchange2007Mailbox Servers (CCRConfiguration)
> > 2 xExchange2007Hub Transport / Client Access Servers
>
> > Problem:
> > TheMessages Queued for Submissionperformance monitor on our Active Node is
> > currently sitting at 21. This seems to have occured just this week, though
> > it initially started at 7 and has slowly increased. This is reporting on 17
> > (of 21) messages in our First Storage Group, and 4 (of 21) in our Third
> > Storage Group. Both storage groups are Mailbox only.
>
> > We have 250 mailboxes on this configuration and have not experienced any
> > mail flow issues. The queue's on the Hub Transports are both fine, there are
> > no messages stuck in them, and running the troubleshooting assistant
> > confirms that everything is well.
>
> > The only reason I've noticed this issue is because I monitor the server with
> > Spotlight forExchange, which evidently is querying the performance counters
> > for each storage group to obtain that figure.
>
> > So I have a few questions...
> > 1. Is there a way to view these 'queued' messages on the Mailbox server? It
> > obviously doesn't run the Transport service so Queue viewer isn't of any
> > help.
> > 2. What would cause this to happen? I've found this technet article
> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232109.aspxwhich is similar,
> > but we definitely do not have a bottleneck and the MSExchangeMail
> > Submission service is running. These messages just appear "stuck".
>
> > Any help is greatly appreciated!
> > Cheers,
> > Matt- Hide quoted text -

Nope, still can't find anything. The number has reached 970 messages
now, and seems to clear when the cluster is failed over. Maybe SP1
will "fix" this, but I'm sitting back on the sidelines with regard to
SP1 for a few weeks until the dust settles.
From: Paul on
Thanks Matt - thats the same solution I had found - failing over the cluster
seemed to clear this queue.

I was unable to find any help & information on how to view this queue or
empty it otherwise.

Thx-Paul

From: Paul on
Well, a couple weeks later and now its back up again. Silly if we are forced
to failover every couple weeks to remove the queue.

Anybody else have tips for the mailbox server running up a queue over time?
Maybe bad messages somehow unable to deliver? I cant find any commands to
check a mailbox queue...