From: Luuke on
Hello,

Easy questions ?
:-)

I have 7 Exchange 2007 servers in my environment and I plan to apply
Service Rollup 9 (3 MBX, 2 CAS-HUB-UM and 2 MBX-CCR).

- Can I deploy the SR9 on one server, wait for a couple of days before
deploying on the others, or is it strongly recommended to have all
servers at the same patch level within the same day ?
- Is there a preferred order to deploy it ? CAS-HUB roles first, MBX
second for example ?

Thanks for your answers !

Regards,

Luuke

From: Karl Mitschke on
> Hello,
>
> Easy questions ?
> :-)
> I have 7 Exchange 2007 servers in my environment and I plan to apply
> Service Rollup 9 (3 MBX, 2 CAS-HUB-UM and 2 MBX-CCR).
>
> - Can I deploy the SR9 on one server, wait for a couple of days before
> deploying on the others, or is it strongly recommended to have all
> servers at the same patch level within the same day ?
> - Is there a preferred order to deploy it ? CAS-HUB roles first, MBX
> second for example ?
> Thanks for your answers !
>
> Regards,
>
> Luuke

Luuke;

Microsoft reccomends the following:

"Unless you are running CAS-CAS proxying in your environment, the order in
which you apply a service pack or update rollup package to servers is not
important. However, we recommend that you apply service packs or update rollup
packages to servers that are running the Client Access server role first.
Then, apply the service pack or update rollup package to servers that are
running the other Exchange server roles."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee221147.aspx

We install the rollups all in the same day, as we have only 1 day a month
of scheduled maintenance. I'm not aware of issues with taking days or weeks
to install the rollup though - I do that in my lab sometimes, with no perceived
issue.

Karl