From: mcjwb on
Hi,

When I try to load the Exchange Management Shell from the start menu I
receive the following error:

Windows PowerShell terminated with the following error:

The type initializer for
'Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.CmdletConfigurationEntries' threw
an exception.

Does anybody know what this means and what might be causing it?

I'm running Exchange 2007 in a Hub transport role on Windows Server 2003 R2
x64.

I want to enable the antispam functionality, is there any other way of doing
this without the Exchange Mangement Shell?

Thanks,
Joe
From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 04:35:00 -0700, mcjwb
<mcjwb(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>When I try to load the Exchange Management Shell from the start menu I
>receive the following error:
>
>Windows PowerShell terminated with the following error:
>
>The type initializer for
>'Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.CmdletConfigurationEntries' threw
>an exception.
>
>Does anybody know what this means and what might be causing it?
>
>I'm running Exchange 2007 in a Hub transport role on Windows Server 2003 R2
>x64.
>
>I want to enable the antispam functionality, is there any other way of doing
>this without the Exchange Mangement Shell?
>
>Thanks,
>Joe

You do need to do that in PowerShell on account of it being a
PowerShell script.
Since you will need PowerShell for more than just the task that you
are trying to do right now it's probably best we try and figure out
what's wrong with the box....
ANything logged in the PowerShell event log?
From: mcjwb on
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the late response, forgot to subscribe to my
own thread!

Looking at the event log I see a "PowerShell" and a "Windows PowerShell"
section. The newest event in the "Windows PowerShell" section is the 5th
Febuary 2007 and the newest event in the "PowerShell" section is the 7th June
2007, so it looks like the "PowerShell" section is the one in use.

I checked a fair amount of the events in the "PowerShell" section and they
all start with the following (with varying event ids):

"The description for Event ID ( 400 ) in Source ( PowerShell ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able
to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details."

All the events seem to be information events like state change and provider
starting events.
Also our server is not recording events from remote computers.

Thanks for your help,
Joe

From: mcjwb on
I now have reason to suspect the installation of exchange and or windows did
not go very smoothly and may have been re-installed. Could there be a problem
with the registry? Is there anything I could look for that would confirm this
suspicion?