From: SA on
We are going to be moving our Exchange 2003 server (which I inherited) to a
virtualized environment soon. It is a huge database, way larger than is
acceptable. We are instituting some new policies, and moving data out in
preparation of an offline defrag. Can anyone recommend any good tools I
could purchase to help out with the admin of this server. For example, we
used to run a cc:Mail server that allowed you to automatically delete files
from users trash, delete items of a certain age, etc. Anything that could
help us get this monstrosity under control.

Thanks!
SA

From: SG_Dan on
I assume you're planning to upgrade Exchange for your virtual environment,
and that you will be using Exchange 2010... but you can use Managed folders
and policies to set age limits on messages, even to the level of different
aging for each default folder (Inbox, deleted items, etc). These are built
into Exchange, and you would be well off to set mailbox size limits as well.

From: SA on
Thanks, that's very helpful. We actually aren't planning on upgrading yet.
Is this a problem? The few articles I read seemed to imply that Exchange
2003 was compatible with a virtual environment.

Thanks again

From: Frank on

"SA" <sa(a)coxmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, that's very helpful. We actually aren't planning on upgrading
> yet. Is this a problem? The few articles I read seemed to imply that
> Exchange 2003 was compatible with a virtual environment.

I have run a number of 2003 exchange servers in an hyper-v environment, and
all OK.

it is perhaps sensible to have a fixed size vhd for the operating system,
and a pass through (raid?) for the database.

with 2003 you can clean stuff out with the (free) exmerge, prior to defrag.

be aware that the defrag will only work well if you have adjusted the
retention settings and have run the the required backups.