From: Len A. on
This is driving me crazy!

I restart my server, all works fine (if I leave it alone and let it all
start up) I can POP mailboxes, it recieves incoming mail on port 25 as
expected.

Then, after an hour or so, it just stops. It stops receiving mail on port
25 (no connection upon telnet) and it does not allow POP (outlook gives
message that server unexpectedly dropped connection)

This all worked perfecty, until I recently turned POP on, it seemed to start
after that.

Any idea where to even start on this?

Some information:
This didn't happen before I turned POP on (started the service)
All runs fine, for about an hour, then this happens.

To "fix" it , I actually have to reststart the server twice. If I restart it
only one time, then it comes back up, all expected services running, but not
answer on port 25 telnet (no smtp) and no POP. 2nd restat, then all works
fine for a few hours (maybe)

From: Len A. on
Folowup information

here is one error I get from outlook, the other error says the server
"unexpectedy dropped" the connection. And right now, it is not listening on
port 25 again. This outlook error is more rare than the last one...

The connection to the server has failed. Account:
'mail.pvcharterschool.org', Server: 'pop3.lenanderson.net', Protocol: POP3,
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

From: Andy David {MVP} on
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:07:26 -0700, "Len A." <len_anderson(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>This is driving me crazy!
>
>I restart my server, all works fine (if I leave it alone and let it all
>start up) I can POP mailboxes, it recieves incoming mail on port 25 as
>expected.
>
>Then, after an hour or so, it just stops. It stops receiving mail on port
>25 (no connection upon telnet) and it does not allow POP (outlook gives
>message that server unexpectedly dropped connection)
>
>This all worked perfecty, until I recently turned POP on, it seemed to start
>after that.
>
>Any idea where to even start on this?
>
>Some information:
>This didn't happen before I turned POP on (started the service)
>All runs fine, for about an hour, then this happens.
>
>To "fix" it , I actually have to reststart the server twice. If I restart it
>only one time, then it comes back up, all expected services running, but not
>answer on port 25 telnet (no smtp) and no POP. 2nd restat, then all works
>fine for a few hours (maybe)

ANything in the event logs?

From: Oliver Moazzezi on
These telnet tests your perform for 110 and 25, do you do these from another
machine on the network or actually on the Exchange Server itself?

Oliver

From: Andy David {MVP} on
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:33:46 -0700, "Len A." <len_anderson(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Folowup information
>
>here is one error I get from outlook, the other error says the server
>"unexpectedy dropped" the connection. And right now, it is not listening on
>port 25 again. This outlook error is more rare than the last one...
>
>The connection to the server has failed. Account:
>'mail.pvcharterschool.org', Server: 'pop3.lenanderson.net', Protocol: POP3,
>Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Your event logs should tell you more.